This was horrible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
How this driver didn't clip me I don't know.
Approaching a pinch point I looked behind, he was a way back, I signalled and moved towards primary. But the dangerous idiot still forced his way through. What's the Surrey equivalent of Roadsafe?

400bhp

Guru
What a twunt.

I had a couple of tools today - must be the day for it.

You know you are opening yourself to "should have moved out to the centre earlier" don't you.:whistle:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Waaaay too close.

The website you are looking for is DriveSMART, click on the report button on the right.

Food for thought:
  • Do a slow motion replay at 20-25% speed so it is easier to see just how close they are.
  • Try and get a bit of your bicycle in the picture, such as your right brake or front wheel, this adds further perspective of how close it actually was.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What a twunt.

I had a couple of tools today - must be the day for it.

You know you are opening yourself to "should have moved out to the centre earlier" don't you.:whistle:

I know I should have, but yes, I know I'll get a couple of those comments.

stowie

Legendary Member
Not a nice pass. It must be national "drive like a moron" day - I also had a close pass today* necessitating rapid use of the brakes.

* Note : This is the first video I have posted to Commuting. Please be gentle. I know my position could and probably should be more to the right, but I am not sure anything would have stopped him barging through. Ironically, I caught, and passed him snarled up in traffic up Stamford Hill - where I left him never to be overtook again. So passing me with mm to spare when round the corner there is ample room was absolutely worth it..

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Waaaay too close.

The website you are looking for is DriveSMART, click on the report button on the right.

Food for thought:
  • Do a slow motion replay at 20-25% speed so it is easier to see just how close they are.
  • Try and get a bit of your bicycle in the picture, such as your right brake or front wheel, this adds further perspective of how close it actually was.

Good ideas. I'll see how I can reposition the camera. I have always wanted to get as much image as possible, so placed it to get as much in the frame as I could.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not a nice pass. It must be national "drive like a moron" day - I also had a close pass today*

* Note : This is the first video I have posted to Commuting. Please be gentle. I know my position could and probably should be more to the right, but I am not sure anything would have stopped him barging through. Ironically, I caught, and passed him snarled up in traffic up Stamford Hill - where I left him never to be overtook again. So passing me with mm to spare when round the corner there is ample room was absolutely worth it..

Looks like a grim junction. As you already said, you could have been further over. I would be right in the middle of the lane until getting through the junction to the bus lane. Even if they still try and barge through, you have more space to bail out.

Is there anything you can do with the camera to get it properly horizontal?

stowie

Legendary Member
Looks like a grim junction. As you already said, you could have been further over. I would be right in the middle of the lane until getting through the junction to the bus lane. Even if they still try and barge through, you have more space to bail out.

Is there anything you can do with the camera to get it properly horizontal?

I was actually surprised when reviewing the footage how close I am to the kerb. Having said this, there are two lanes for left, both narrow, so I find it sometimes a little difficult to position correctly. As can be seen by the other overtakes, most drivers move around me perfectly well.

The horizontal camera issue is to do with the fact I lash the camera to the handlebars. It goes a bit off the horizontal from time to time. It was a bit bad today.

It must be national "drive like a moron" day

Yup - for the first time in 50 years cycling, a **** in a vehicle actually hit me.

First, he overtook me far too close; then had to stop to give way to oncoming traffic at a chicane. I filtered through on his left, to get to the cycle "slipway" - as I passed the cab, he yelled "Get off the zarking road". And after the chicane, he "overtook" again - so close that his mirror whacked the middle of my shoulder blade. Mirror slammed back into his door, and he carried on.

Hey, I've been lucky - I'll have a wee bruise tomorrow for it, but no more than that; could have have been an awful lot worse. But my camera memory card was full, so I don't have the video. :sad: Guy'll get a talking to from Traffic Police, no more.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Cheers Gaz and Tim. I've sent the report, and we'll see what happens.

This is the first one that has been so close I've felt obliged to report it.

BSRU

A Human Being
Unfortunately being in the right position does not stop some drivers from desperately forcing their way through.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Unfortunately being in the right position does not stop some drivers from desperately forcing their way through.

True, but at least it gives you more room to bail out left if necessary.

scouserinlondon

True, but at least it gives you more room to bail out left if necessary.
I thought this today. Once when a car undertook me at about 50 in a 30 and then when a van squeezed through at a pinch point. The van in particular I could sense him getting really close as the island approached so I just bailed to the left, (calling him names obviously) and let him past.

Top Bottom