This weekend - My cack handed first time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay

...fitting bar tape. What a pain in the t1ts - you can tell which side I did first from the other side of the road! Those fizik gel pads which go underneath the tape didn't help either. But white duct-tape did...:biggrin:

I'll be redoing that in the near future let me tell you!

Dave5N

Über Member
I love fitting bar tape. vey satisfying.

... and the fiddly bits of shiny tape they give you that are supposed to tidy the ends up have never been any good to me. Always end up using electricians' tape instead and plenty of it. Much neater in my hands!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Electrical tape to finish, with the Fizik finishing tape over the top is the way to go. Also, use electrical tape to hold the bar:gel pads in place, as the glue on them is tacky, rather than sticky. Wrap, unwrap and wrap again if unhappy is the key.

Once I'd finished mine, I singed the ends of the finishing tape with a heated screwdriver blade, makes it less likely to come undone. One other nice wheeze is using sections of old inner tube - cut and thread onto the bars before fitting tape, then place over the ends of the tape nearest the stem once you're done. Never done this myself because I didn't fancy taking the levers off. May do it if I ever fit new bars though.

Also, don't get knocked off and ruin the tape scraping it along the road just a month after fitting it.

mondobongo

Über Member
I found this really useful the first time I had to tape bars.

Top Bottom