Thomas Cook

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
They've been up & down, but generally struggling for years, whilst Tui seems to ride the waves rather better - mind you both EasyJet & RyanAir have also posted reversals for the first half.

My wife & I were saying last night that the sheer hassle of flying means we're just not going abroad any more - having forgotten the 7+ hour journey back from Cornwall at Easter, of course!

I'll still be flying to fish, mind :smile:

OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I paved a drive for a Lady in 2011 who is one of the hierarchy and travelled all all over for futures markets..
She said back then it's a very difficult business.
Granted this was in the aftermath of the 08crash but as a you are all saying, we shop elsewhere when holidaying..

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Whose sister company is, rather oddly, Fowler Welch temperature-controlled distribution, hence the ads on their lorries.
Not as odd as it looks. Jet 2 started in 2002 as the passenger carrying arm of the freight airline Channel Express. It and Fowler Welch were part of a logistics chain. Both were part of Dart Group PLC.

As the Jet 2 name gained recognition following expansion from its original base at Leeds Bradford airport it absorbed its parent c 2006.

Jet 2 flights' callsign is still Channex.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not as odd as it looks. Jet 2 started in 2002 as the passenger carrying arm of the freight airline Channel Express. It and Fowler Welch were part of a logistics chain. Both were part of Dart Group PLC.

As the Jet 2 name gained recognition following expansion from its original base at Leeds Bradford airport it absorbed its parent c 2006.

Jet 2 flights' callsign is still Channex.
Yes, if one knows the history, or has googled the wiki, but to the average member of the population they aren't the most natural bedfellows. I remember my surprise when I found out from FW's ex HR Manager a few months ago.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A friend of a friend works in a travel agents and has been saying for months how the "claim culture" on top of all the other pressures is threatening to destroy the package holiday market.

With EU legislation regarding flight delays and the ambulance chasers moving into that and the "did you get a dicky tummy while on holiday?" market due to the coming end of PPI claims and tightening up on the personal injury field it's apparently not uncommon for people to start demanding compensation the minute they arrive back in the UK.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Yes, if one knows the history, or has googled the wiki, but to the average member of the population they aren't the most natural bedfellows. I remember my surprise when I found out from FW's ex HR Manager a few months ago.
I only know it 'cos I'm a lifelong plane nut. Owner, or at least major shareholder of the business is a chap called Phil Meeson who was once an aerobatic pilot flying a Pitts Special. Sometime in mid seventies he put on an impromptu display on a Saturday evening over Leeds Bradford airport - then a very small place. I had the good fortune to be in the Spectators Enclosure at the time.

Probably the only man ever to have emptied every pub in Yeadon as the punters came out to watch.

My wife & I were saying last night that the sheer hassle of flying means we're just not going abroad any more - having forgotten the 7+ hour journey back from Cornwall at Easter, of course!

I'll still be flying to fish, mind :smile:
well you saw something on the way I suppose at least - I too hate flying because of the hassle these days. All in all all things considered it wipes a day out to fly even on a supposedly short trip.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
well you saw something on the way I suppose at least - I too hate flying because of the hassle these days. All in all all things considered it wipes a day out to fly even on a supposedly short trip.
The arse end of a lot of vehicles on the m5 figured fairly high! :laugh:

We did say that we could have flown somewhere in the time it took, I mist confess

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got to take 8 (fortunately short haul) flights in June at the latest count for work (and one coming back from a short holiday)...not much looking forward to the time and hassle but I am being paid to do it I suppose. I'm taking a 5 hour train journey to avoid one more!

Top Bottom