Thoughts on Trek Allant+9.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Yeah that's the RRP and I know theres a smidge of wiggle room but I didn't get much because I'm part financing it (0% APR mind) which will eat into the store's margin.

@tom73, certainly not to blame but if the wife starts asking how much... I might need a human shield. :rolleyes:

:smile: Tell her she can have a play as all the best girls ride a trek Mrs 73 loves her fx.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
You won’t be disappointed in the trek, my domane is a real joy to ride.
Price wise you do get what you pay for, the giant road- e I had before was nice but the trek feels more a quality ride.
Enjoy😁

tom73

Guru
Just looked up that bike no wonder it turned your head :wub:
As I was on the site had a look at domane range rude not to
step away from the computer , dont need another bike ....yet :addict:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Trek bike has pretty much the ultimate Bosch ebike spec.

Had you said you wanted one of those, I would have pointed you in the direction of the Riese and Muller Super Delite.

It has their tuned for the road full suspension which is excellent.

I've never ridden such a comfortable bike that holds the road so well.

Twin batteries for even longer range, and never mind Shimano's cranky derailers, have a Rohloff hub - with electronic shifting.

Oily chains are so last century, the Delite has a Gates belt.

It also wins the 'spend a ludicrous amount of money on an ebike' competition, retailing at more than £7,500.

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/models/superdelite/superdelite-gt-rohloff/#F00351_04011207

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
That's some next level luxury right there. :notworthy:

I have to admit, the hub/gates system on commuter will be incredibly low maintenance, but the reduced cost and ease of maintenance of a 12 speed chain/derailleur combo is a win in my book. Keeping the bike clean is still necessary, and degreasing/lubing the drive chain at the same time doesn't add THAT much more to the chore. I'm pretty handy with my bikes, but hub internals still scare me. Even if money were no option, I think I'd still go with the Trek. :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Great news, I've taken delivery of the Allant+9.9 early, day after my birthday. A lovely present to myself, so chuffed with it.

First, there are a couple of things I wish I knew before buying the bike. As this is aimed at commuters, it's not unreasonable to expect that it will be left outdoors. Since most people are likely take their battery with them to deter theft, it would have been nice if Trek included a rubber contact cover to protect the frame's internal battery contact from the elements. When the battery is removed, the inside of the frame and the contacts are exposed, over time the contacts will oxidise. Maybe not a huge issue in places with 365 days of sun, but in the UK, we don't want to expose the contacts to inclement weather unnecessarily. I've stuffed my cycling buff into the frame this AM as a temporary fix. The rubber covers by Bosch only cost a few pounds, so it's not a huge deal, but now I have to make a special trip to my dealer to get one which is annoying. Trek, it's the little things that count! Please include these!

The carbon frame and paint job is a thing of beauty, a rela head turner, but it's impossible to get my large U-lock through the seat stays and wheels/tyres because they are HUGE 2.4". :notworthy: Again, not a big deal. I'll need to use a cable to loop around the wheels, and just put the U lock around the top tube. I've got a cable loop in the garage somewhere. Also, when leaning the bike against a Sheffield stand, it's picked up several scratches immediately. I'm not precious about my paint work, but I do fear that after a few months in the work racks and clumsy colleagues, the frame might start to look a bit shabby. A more durable finish would have been nice on such an expensive bike. I do wonder if this is a drawback of carbon paint jobs, compared to my steel stead which seems more tolerant of scuffs.

The top of the line Kiox display is worth every penny. it can be a little harder to read smaller text like battery levels with rain droplets on it, but that's not worth moaning about as a quick cycle through the various pages will give you the same info in a larger format. The input controller is intuitive, and easy enough to use even with winter gloves on. I'm sure it will be even easier still in the summer when my fingerless gloves come back out and you can feel the button locations without even looking. I can't wait to put it's through its paces in the daytime, it's just seen dark commutes so far. But the integrated light system is incredibly bright, which came into its own during sections of unlit paths, they are like car headlights. I've added a cheap blinker to the seatpost, just for extra visibility, not that the rear mudguard mounted light isn't plenty bright enough, it just doesn't seem to flash.

I have not ridden any ebikes before I got my hands on the Allant+9.9, but my experiences of riding the bike are nothing but positive. the Cube had front and seatpost suspension, but honestly, being used to commuting on a rigid gravel bike with slick tyres, despite the extra speed, this bike isn't jarring and suspension does seem unnecessary for paved commutes in my view. The 2.4" tyres guarantee a comfortable ride. That said, I do have to slow down on the few short stretches of cobbles, but that's hardly unreasonable. The motor makes more noise than I expected, which makes me feel a bit self-conscious as I pass others, but then that all fades away as I leave my muscle powered compatriots in my wake.

The 625W battery is giving me about 30-40 miles range, blasting turbo all the way. Just great fun! Pictures may follow. I'm one happy camper. :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I noticed the Kiox mount was a bit wobbly today. Upon inspection, the plastic mount was hanging from a thread and sheard right off as I lifted it. It looks like it's integrated into Trek's proprietary stem, so there's no quick fix, a bit disappointing. I wonder if this is a weak point in the design, or if it took a bash in the workshop before I picked it up. The motor won't work without the display connected, so I had to wrap a buff around it to hold it in place on my journey to work. I'm hoping that this will be dealt with swiftly under Trek's warranty, luckily the frame comes with a lifetime warranty. Hopefully it isn't a sign of things to come, but I did notice a bit of creaking possibly from the motor too this AM.

Edit: Took it to the shop to get looked at during lunch. Luckily it's not the whole stem that has to go (which seemed a little whacky anyway), the mount has a plate which runs between the stem and handlebars. The team were able to zip-tie a basic mount to the handle bars to keep me going for now. Top service from All Terrain Cycles. Back to the shop in a week or two to get the mount fitted and the creak looked at if it worsens.

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

I noticed the Kiox mount was a bit wobbly today. Upon inspection, the plastic mount was hanging from a thread and sheard right off as I lifted it. It looks like it's integrated into Trek's proprietary stem, so there's no quick fix, a bit disappointing. I wonder if this is a weak point in the design, or if it took a bash in the workshop before I picked it up. The motor won't work without the display connected, so I had to wrap a buff around it to hold it in place on my journey to work. I'm hoping that this will be dealt with swiftly under Trek's warranty, luckily the frame comes with a lifetime warranty. Hopefully it isn't a sign of things to come, but I did notice a bit of creaking possibly from the motor too this AM.

Edit: Took it to the shop to get looked at during lunch. Luckily it's not the whole stem that has to go (which seemed a little whacky anyway), the mount has a plate which runs between the stem and handlebars. The team were able to zip-tie a basic mount to the handle bars to keep me going for now. Top service from All Terrain Cycles. Back to the shop in a week or two to get the mount fitted and the creak looked at if it worsens.
On my Domane+ the kickstand carbon fibre mounts broke & I have to have a new frame after 500 miles,I’ve been waiting about 5 weeks now to arrive from the US still not come.
Hope you don’t have to wait too long.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
On my Domane+ the kickstand carbon fibre mounts broke & I have to have a new frame after 500 miles,I’ve been waiting about 5 weeks now to arrive from the US still not come.
Hope you don’t have to wait too long.
Ouch!

Part ordered on monday, arrived on wednesday, went on today, 5 minute jobby, if you don't count the two special trips to and back from the shop. :cold:

One thing the shop told me, that is obvious in retrospect, not to clamp the frame, only the seatpost, as that will stress the frame. Fail to adhere and the manufacturer can wiggle out of frame warranty claims, you'd think that would be in the manual, but I never noticed it. Duly noted! :blink:

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

Ouch!

Part ordered on monday, arrived on wednesday, went on today, 5 minute jobby, if you don't count the two special trips to and back from the shop. :cold:

One thing the shop told me, that is obvious in retrospect, not to clamp the frame, only the seatpost, as that will stress the frame. Fail to adhere and the manufacturer can wiggle out of frame warranty claims, you'd think that would be in the manual, but I never noticed it. Duly noted! :blink:
I have mine stored in my bed & the wife in the garage, no stress 😂.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Rear wheel flew out from under me on way home yesterday, luckily I got my foot out to prevent a crash. I'm thinking I might retire mine too until the spring. Haven't been able to source 27.5 studded tyres for her yet (bike, not wife).

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
You could buy a decent motorcycle for that price
I'd need motorcycle license, I'd have to tax, insure, service and MOT it, put petroleum in it, wear a full helmet and leathers, I'd be banned from riding it on cycle infrastructure and I wouldn't get any exercise. eBikes are also safer (lower speeds). Despite the upfront cost of the Trek, long term running costs much lower than a motorcycle or car. Completely different tools for different jobs. I was initially skeptical that any bike could be worth this kind of money, but then I rode it, the ride quality and effort that went into putting this together speaks for itself. I'm sure the +8 model would be adequate for some, but the extra touches of the 9.9 worth every penny in the long run for the kind of riding I do.

Last edited:

TyrannosaurusTreks

You could buy a decent motorcycle for that price

👍😬

Top Bottom