Thrown off of the bus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Oh the shame, 0515 on monday morning I was waiting for the first 82 bus from Finchley to take me to Baker Street. I had to be at Paddington for 06.00. At the appointed time the bus rolled in, several people got on, one with a large suitcase, then my turn. The driver looked at me, and then my folded Brompton and said,"you're not getting on with that" I replied that it was folded and it was allowed, she replied "you're not getting on with that". Now, I didn't really know the rules regarding folding bikes,:unsure: I do now, so after a bit of an argument I gave way and stepped of the bus, cycled furiously to Finchley Central Station and caught the first train. I got to work 15 mins late, the boss was ok with my story and just laughed.
I wrote to the garage manager and have just recieved a letter back from him. Under the conditions of carriage, section 12.1, folding bikes are allowed, stowed in the luggage bay/pen, not causing an obstuction etc. One can only hope the manager shows the driver the error of her ways and teaches her a little bit about the job, ie the rules. Just wait until I see her again. I will be using the 82 again on sunday morning first thing, I hope the same driver is on it again.:angry:

Mr Phoebus

Oh the shame, 0515 on monday morning I was waiting for the first 82 bus from Finchley to take me to Baker Street. I had to be at Paddington for 06.00. At the appointed time the bus rolled in, several people got on, one with a large suitcase, then my turn. The driver looked at me, and then my folded Brompton and said,"you're not getting on with that" I replied that it was folded and it was allowed, she replied "you're not getting on with that". Now, I didn't really know the rules regarding folding bikes,:unsure: I do now, so after a bit of an argument I gave way and stepped of the bus, cycled furiously to Finchley Central Station and caught the first train. I got to work 15 mins late, the boss was ok with my story and just laughed.
I wrote to the garage manager and have just recieved a letter back from him. Under the conditions of carriage, section 12.1, folding bikes are allowed, stowed in the luggage bay/pen, not causing an obstuction etc. One can only hope the manager shows the driver the error of her ways and teaches her a little bit about the job, ie the rules. Just wait until I see her again. I will be using the 82 again on sunday morning first thing, I hope the same driver is on it again.:angry:

Always the one out there. :rolleyes:

Reminds me I rewatched 'Nathan Barley' (Chris Morris show) and he climbs on a double decker with his BMX at one point. Thats more testament to the prickness of the character though than a good (fictional) driver :biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I was thrown off the train a few weeks back after Chilterns decided to start enforcing their peak time bike ban. Another bloke tried it the next day and the guard called the police. A bit harsh I thought.

Surprised at the Brommie on the bus though; they're tiny compared to some of those pushchairs.

snorri

Legendary Member
What an anti-climax, from the thread title I had visions of you being ejected through an open door as the bus sped along at 60mph.
For your sake, I'm glad I got it wrong.:smile:

Shaun

Founder
I'd be tempted to wait there every morning - just to see if the same lady driver was driving and then casually hand her the info as you step on with your folder and look around for a suitable place to sit. :thumbsup:

C

chillyuk

Well done that driver! When you are getting old and grumpy it's bad enough on a bus trying to get past those gormless chavs and their illegitimate council house passports without having to climb over bicycles. Why have a bike and get on a bus ffs.

Zoiders

Well done that driver! When you are getting old and grumpy it's bad enough on a bus trying to get past those gormless chavs and their illegitimate council house passports without having to climb over bicycles. Why have a bike and get on a bus ffs.
If it were any other folder but a brompton I might agree with you but in this case the driver was in the wrong - they fold up small enough to count as luggage without a problem. Nothing tit's me off like folders and bikes being treated as something anoying for public transport to deal with - and then you find you board a train and some gimp has filled the bike locker with two cello cases and a snow board.

Coach building in this country is poor, in a lot of European countries buses will take bikes and are designed to do so, the fact that we don't do this in the UK is just a sign of our own backwards attitude towards intergrated transport policy.

There can be plenty of reasons why you might chose to mix and match your journey, simple time and distance isuues, the way you are dressed, the simple weather etc etc, so lets not be so harsh on the chap for wanting to take one of the smallest folders on bus.

Arch

Married to Night Train

Make sure, that this time, you have a large suitcase with you as well. When she objects, open the case, revealing it to be empty, put the Brom in, and close it up, then get on....

I gather a fairly simply cloth bag/coverall is a good idea, as it hides the bikeness. I've got all this to learn, now that I have a Brom.

On a side note, I'm frequently amazed at the size of suitcases on trains, and how some people struggle to lift them.. I won't travel with more than I can easily carry - rucksacks are the way for me if I'm not on a bike, not small sheds on silly little wheels. How much stuff do they need!

HelenD123

Guru
We need buses with racks on the front. I really wish I'd been able to take a photo of my tourer whizzing round Vancouver on the front of a bus. :smile:

Top Bottom