Thumbs up from a lorry driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pulled up in an ASL this morning, alongside the car sitting in it. Gave the guy a look but he was staring fixedly ahead. To be fair, it is a junction you can get caught at, and I hadn't seen him pull up, so he might have got stuck there without meaning to.

Anyway, a lorry needed to turn into that road, and thanks to the car so far forward, couldn't swing round. The car driver seemed to be in a world of his own, so I stared and then waved at him until he woke up and saw me, whereupon I pointed at the lorry, and indicated that he should reverse a bit (there was nothing behind him). Which he did, and once the lorry driver had negotiated the turn, he gave me a thumbs up...

Always nice when someone acknowledges your help.;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You'll be opening 'Truckfest 2009' instead of Sally Traffic at this rate.

purplepolly

You must have the magic touch, I can't even get them to move off pedestrian crossings when some elderly person is having to hobble round them. Although last time this happened I gave the car wheel a good kick and got a cheer off the OAP.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
albal said:
good on you, Was this in FRANCE by any chance?????? Does'nt sound like Britain.

No, in York. There are a lot of junctions in town where if a car is forward of the line it makes it hard for a bus or lorry to turn (because many of the street are narrow and the corners tight). I've even had to tell a cyclist once - he was right to the left of a right hand lane in the ASL, so the bus trying to swing out a bit in the left hand lane to make a left turn couldn't do it.

I think it's just like motorists not being aware of cyclists' needs. Unless they've driven a long vehicle (and I have), they just don't think about the increased turning circle.

This sort of 'incident' really does get under-reported here. In fact I would suggest that I have incidents of driver generosity/politeness etc on approximately 100% of my commutes. I have bad incidents on about 3%. That's why I hate it when people generalise about any road user...

magnatom said:
This sort of 'incident' really does get under-reported here. In fact I would suggest that I have incidents of driver generosity/politeness etc on approximately 100% of my commutes. I have bad incidents on about 3%. That's why I hate it when people generalise about any road user...

Why not have a week of posting positive incidents you've filmed?
That's a serious suggestion, by the way, not a dig at you. It might cheer us all up.:biggrin:

Few people know that Arch is a bit of a truck driver herself....she used to drive the CoC vehicles a lot:smile:

Rhythm Thief said:
Why not have a week of posting positive incidents you've filmed?
That's a serious suggestion, by the way, not a dig at you. It might cheer us all up.:biggrin:

You'd all fall asleep watching it! That's the problem good driving doesn't make for interesting viewing!

The real problem is that most good incidents don't show up on film. You generally can't see inside a car with the camera and so would miss people waving you on etc. I do have some positive videos on there if you look for them! :becool:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Few people know that Arch is a bit of a truck driver herself....she used to drive the CoC vehicles a lot:smile:

I used to eat Yorkies and everything....:biggrin:

Next, I fancy being a mobile library driver. Books and trucks, who could ask for more?

(one of our trucks was a retired library. Amazing suspension, and in our green livery looked like something out of Thunderbirds. I must scan a photo in)

Cromcruaich

On the whole i've had lots of lorry drivers and wvm give way for me, usually more likely to do it if its peeing down and I look bedraggled. I give em a big exuberent wave to spread the love. Not really had any true idiots, then again I am oop north and not riding in a city.

Still waiting for that BMW driver to show a bit of consideration thought. :cold:

Maz

Guru
I gave a thumbs-up to 2 lorry drivers recently (Castle Cement and Bradstone Aggregates) and contacted their companies to commend them.

I've got to be thankful for that lorry driver driving carefully the other day coming down from Tower Gateway,but once my front wheel slid (on the ice) I thought I'd pull over and let him pass.

Top Bottom