Tiagra down shifting 'clunk'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galactico

Just got myself a specialized allez sport. it is in lovely condition and has a full tiagra groupset. the right hand shifter is very smooth but the left hand one makes a loud clunking noise when shifting down from the large to small chain ring. I have noticed this before with other shimano shifters that the front mech clunks. the noise seems to vibrate through the frame making it sound louder. i have tried different tensions on the cable but is still doesnt help. the mech isnt catching the chainring, trapping the chain or hitting the frame at all.

any ideas appreciated.

cheers

crumpetman

My Tiagra (compact) is definitely more clunky on the front mech compared to the rear. It doesn't vibrate though. I would expect it to be a little clunky given the difference in tooth size.

I assume you refer to the stiff front shifter and the sudden *clunk* when it does make the shift downwards?Mine softened up after a few miles, but is back to being just as clicky as it ever was since replacing the gear cable. Not a problem.

Others have correctly pointed out that it is down to a tight gear cable...loosening the cable slightly or allowing it to develop some 'give' should see the noise soften.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My 105 shifter does the same and I hate it; it even threw the chain off the small ring on about every 5th change until I fitted a K-Edge anti-chaindrop device.

Nebulous

Guru
It gets better with practice. I was really concerned about my Tiagra front mech when I first got it - more so changing up than changing down. It caught and clunked and did all sorts of strange things. It became much better as I became used to it. I came to the conclusion a lot of it was pilot error.

byegad

Legendary Member
My Kettwiesel has Tiagra shifters and front and back change quietly and smoothly. My QNT has a Campag Veloce front changer which always sounds like I've dropped a bag of hammers when i change. It could have something to do with the range, 24 40 55.

eltelio

My 105 shifter does the same and I hate it; it even threw the chain off the small ring on about every 5th change until I fitted a K-Edge anti-chaindrop device.

I've got the same sort of noise on my Trek 2.1with 105 gearing and a triple ring on the front. I'm putting it down to the spring in the shifter itself though as gear changing is smooth and the rest is a beaut ride. Getting used to the racket on downshifts!:smile:

Top Bottom