Tilbury/Gravesend ferry important news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jojo2512

Hi. I have just been informed that the ferry is being changed from the Duchess. I have also been told that bikes will not be allowed on the new ferry as of 2nd May.

Thought I'd put this on here as a lot of Cycle Chatters currently use the service and thought best to let you all know, could you all please pass this on to anyone you know who uses the Ferry especially the Infrequent Users as I'd hate to think someone planned a route and could not do it due to the Ferry no longer taking bikes over the River.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's really bad news.

Redlight

That's a great shame. I used it only last Saturday, coming back from the Fridays' ride to Southend. It's always been a welcome alternative to being "ferried" over the crossing at Dartford. Thanks for sharing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a bit of news. I contacted the current operator, Lower Thames and Medway Passenger Boat Company. I got this response:

As from the end of April we shall no longer be the operators of the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry. We have no idea of what vessel will be replacing ours.

She gave me a couple of names to contact, one at kent.gov.uk and one at essex.gov.uk I've already been bounced by one department in Kent (nothing to do with us), so I'll see how far I can get with this extra info.

Last edited:

jiberjaber

Veteran
Tilbury is in Thurrock which is a unitary authority so might be the place to try?

https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-services/ferry-enquiries-and-complaints

I can only find the tender for the present service online
https://www.kentbusinessportal.org....RACT-KENT-96TES3&org_id=ORG-KENT-8YKEYH&from=

This Aug 2016 document shows 7 years of funding for the ferry secured (para 4.37)
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/sites/default/files/assets/documents/tilbury-clld-strategy-v01.pdf

Other than that my Google fu skills are failing me...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I got a reply from Thurrock

Thank you for your email concerning the transport of bicycles on the Tilbury to Gravesend ferry service.

I can confirm that bicycles are still permitted onto the ferry and that there are no plans to change this for the foreseeable future.

Kind regards

So that sounds like good news. I'm still awaiting a response from Kent.

At present they allow motorcycles up to 125cc. I wonder if this is what @jojo2512 heard being discussed.

They could do with providing an information service. I was there late last year and the service was suspended, but there were no indicator boards, and I had to search the web on my phone and call several numbers before I could find anything out (after waiting nearly an hour and figuring something was up). Something as simple as a notice board with "call this number for info" would have been better than nothing. Technologically something as cheap and easy as a twitter feed would be a start.

Thank you for your email concerning the transport of bicycles on the Tilbury to Gravesend ferry service.

I can confirm that bicycles are still permitted onto the ferry and that there are no plans to change this for the foreseeable future.

Kind regards

At present they allow motorcycles up to 125cc. I wonder if this is what @jojo2512 heard being discussed.

They could do with providing an information service. I was there late last year and the service was suspended, but there were no indicator boards, and I had to search the web on my phone and call several numbers before I could find anything out (after waiting nearly an hour and figuring something was up). Something as simple as a notice board with "call this number for info" would have been better than nothing. Technologically something as cheap and easy as a twitter feed would be a start.

Sounds promising the Mobile Number of the Boat is on the Website I used to have it saved on my phone to give a quick call check still running when Kent Side so I could divert to the Dartford Crossing before wasted trip into Gravesend.....but have to plan that as it is a Limited Service at the Crossing as well

OP
OP
J

jojo2512

IMG_0466.JPG
I got a pic of the boat they intend to us

Firestorm

Veteran
the

Kind regards

there is often information regarding the ferry on the c2c rail website

jiberjaber

Veteran
It's called the Thames swift and is tiny

That looks to have about as much room as one of the ones I have been on before across there. I've been on two boats over the few crossings I've done. Both have more than one deck, one loads from the rear and the other loaded from the middle, the one that middle loaded had less room than the Swift pictured here. I still couldn't find anything online which confirms boats or new operator (or the incumbent being retained) so maybe we will have to wait and see what turns up....

OP
OP
J

jojo2512

I travel on the ferry daily to work. Think they keeps no it quiet but will change over at the beginning of may.

Top Bottom