Time to move on...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...yes that's right. I've decided it's time to move on to pastures new.

I've been here on CC ever since the mass exodus from the old C+/bikeradar forums. Since being made to feel very welcome here I've probably experienced every emotion whilst logged on. There have been times I've laughed, times I've cried (ok, maybe not out and out crying, but certainly a lump or two), times I've felt angry, and times I have been surprised etc.

You may have noticed a month or so back I took a break. It's difficult to explain, but there had been a few threads that personally had left a bad taste in my mouth. No one person or reason, just a few small things that over time meant I wasn't enjoying it here as I had done. So I took a break (nothing wrong with that) and came back after a while to see how I got on. However, over the last few days I got involved in one of 'those' threads. Nothing major by any stretch of the imagination, but it confirmed to me that I just don't enjoy this place the same way I used to. As in all good break-ups, 'it's not you , it's me!'

On top of that a lot is happening in the real world that will over time require more and more of my attention. My children are getting bigger, and getting more involved in activities etc, and we don't have a huge support network (i.e. no easily accessible extended family). I am also working hard to possibly change career (possibly spinning out a biotech company) etc. So I have to focus myself more and more. That does not mean I want to stop doing my videos or campaigning and I will certainly still be cycling, I just need to focus it a little. So I have decided to focus more on my blog and pull away from the forums. Why, well on only people who give a toss about what I am saying will read my blog. Probably best for everyone! :smile:

Why post about leaving? Why not just leave? Well, I'm not the quiet go into the night type really. I have a voice (loud and squeaky at times) and I like to use it. That, and if I did just disappear I know that at some point (probably in 3 years time) someone would post asking, so where has that annoying twit disappeared off to? Thus post it here, and make a run for it. I'm not going to be cancelling my login or anything, in fact I'll keep an eye on this place, though just as a lurker. There are a lot of interesting, and bright people on here who I'd love to keep tabs of. I just won't be posting any more.

Oh and I'm not looking for a 'Please stay Magnatom' campaign, and neither do I expect one!!! (ok it might be just an ikle bit nice if someone missed me!)

For the record, I do not and never have borne any grudges against anyone, and I would more than happily meet up for a pint or six with just about any one of you (if you are paying of course!). Yes, from time to time some folk have irritated me (mmm, I wonder if I am ever an irritant....) but it is only ever in passing (I even love you Mr Hippo!). I will certainly recommend this place to anyone looking for banter and chat about cycling and related stuff (and often unrelated stuff).

Anyway, time to head off into the great world wide web to see if I can spread the good news that is cycling. Take care all, and if you ever wonder what I'm up to, just google 'magnatom' and say hello. :hello:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I think it will do you good. Best of luck.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
You mean your work IT have sussed your high non work interent usage and put a block on the sites you can access :thumbsup:

:whistle:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
** weeps gently into his hankie ** ;)

I'll miss you, Dave. Hopefully we'll meet at some point again soon on one of those CC Ecosse rides which I really need to get back on.

Of course, you're now in contact with me on other channels so I'll still be able to stay in touch.

All the best, and keep up the good work you do for girly screamers everywhere!

mgarl10024

Über Member
...I'll miss you, Dave...

I never did get to the bottom of why it was "Magnatom". :huh:

Curb

Veteran
As a long time lurker, just a quick thanks for all your vids (and fights discussions - and to the other regular posters for that matter.)

It has been really educational and entertaining, I started commuting to work nearly 3 years ago and have enjoyed the banter you guys have on here and learnt about the safety in assertive riding positions (-even stopped the odd RLJ that I used to be tempted by) all that from my lunchtime reading on this forum. :tongue:

nightoff

As a comparatively small time poster on this forum, I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and have may even improved my cycling technique whilst gleaning useful snippets of info and tips on this site (dare I say some even from you).

All the best for the future.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
"Busy Life Gets in Way of Cycling" shock :eek: !

Mags, CC actually owes you quite a debt. AFIR, you were the instigator of the CC meet-up before the PfS way back in the mists of time (ie when most of us only had 1 bike - and an MTB at that
eek.gif
).

The success of riding PfS together led to your suggestion to ride together again ... and the CC Forum Rides began.

Thank you. Your legacy lives on :bicycle:.

We'll miss you on our rides - the (non-stop) chatter, the up-beat attitude, the feeling of security knowing that we are accompanied by someone who has 'fought for Scotland'** - the list goes on (not like you, of course
icon_lol.gif
).

Ride Safe, enjoy your family and success with the new business.
cool.gif

... and when is the 'Ride for Cake' this year
icon_wink.gif
?

** The Mighty Magnatom has represented Scotland at judo - so watch what you say .....
av.gif

Simon_m

Guru
Good luck and I know how you feel, its not too "friendly" on here. If your doing the etape caledonia, I will hopefully bump into you. Take care and cycle safe

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Just to echo the above really. I've learned a lot from your threads, and you'll be sorely missed but I do understand your reasons.
It did seem a little as if you'd become a target with some of your vids, and people were out to pick holes before they'd even watched them.

I'll certainly keep an eye on your blog (now I know you have one!) and best of luck for the future, whatever it may bring
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom