Times article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Weren't The Times slagging off that insurance policy the other day?

GrasB

Veteran
I actually agree with a lot of that article. Though I think if people actually listened to most of the lycra-clad men you'd find most of them actually support a network of properly sized separated cycle ways removed from pedestrians & motorists. At least that's the impression I get talking to a number of 'club cyclists' anyway, people don't really want to be mixed up with traffic, they want to ride a bike quickly & safely.

(women being vulnerable because we tend to ride defensively, hugging the kerb)
This shows one perception problem with people cycling, what they consider defensive is actually timid & passive. I also spotted this in a comment
We need a lot more combined bus and cycle lanes.
Nice in theory but remind me, what group of car drivers are some of the worst for causing hassle to cyclists? Taxi drivers & private hire vehicles, who are also permitted to use bus lanes.

thomas

the tank engine
GrasB said:
I actually agree with a lot of that article. Though I think if people actually listened to most of the lycra-clad men you'd find most of them actually support a network of properly sized separated cycle ways removed from pedestrians & motorists. At least that's the impression I get talking to a number of 'club cyclists' anyway, people don't really want to be mixed up with traffic, they want to ride a bike quickly & safely.

For the most part we don't need segregation IMO. I'd rather just get more respect on the roads and use them, rather than wasting lots of money building separate cycle lanes.

GrasB

Veteran
Country roads generally are fine & no need for segregation there, however most people I speak to seem to think that between major population centres it would be a good idea to have motorways for cyclists along with segregation of cyclists, motorists & peds around town.

Crankarm

Guru
It was quite favourable ;):laugh::biggrin:. Didn't like the slur on or hostility toward lycra clad cyclists though. I have come to the conclusion that those who are disparaging about Lycra are the fat brigade and those so unfit they resemble a sack of spuds as they look crap in it or alternatively a limp carrot. If they did some exercise and got a nicely toned bod then perhaps they would be converts. What women or man in their right mind doesn't want to show off their toned chiselled bod :biggrin:?

BJ was mentioned for his lacklustre performance on supposedly delivering better cycling facilities.

Top Bottom