Tips for touring in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As some of you may recall I'm off next week to cycle from Budapest to Belgrade

I had been about to start a thread called "tips for touring in the heat?" but overnight the weather broke: it's gone from 30+degrees and blazing sun to about half that and rain rain rain. The forecast for next week is 20 degrees and rain.

Any advice on coping with a week of rain while touring? I'm lucky in that we are staying in hotels/boarding schools so will not have a wet tent problem but what to wear day in, day out? I've mountain biked in the past and wet and muddy is part of the fun..... for a day, but I know from hill walking that two three four days of the same is rather less fun.:smile:

All tips welcome

Bigtwin

Keep dry.

So depends on what kit you have. Good over shoes/plastic bags.

Backwards gore-tex cap is good - keeps the rain out of the back of your neck. Buff likewise - can ring it out and stop the water dribbling down.

Obviously decent panniers and bags inside them. 2 layers min for everything you need to stay dry.

Some rain-ex or similar on your glasses.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Bigtwin said:
Looks like a giggle in a cross-wind.

Reminds me that I had a Dutch colleague who used to cycle holding an umbrella in the rain.:smile:

Jut got in a supply of ziplock bags to go inside the plastic bag inside the carradura saddle bag and the bar bag. Looks like I'm putting the mudguards back on again: we will be in a big group (200 riders in 4 groups of 50) so spraying shite about will not be polite;)

jags

Guru
got soaked in brittany last week ,two days running not nice.
is there such a thing as a warm waterproof jacket. when you get soaked you also get very cold ,so if anyone know's of a way to keep warm and dry.please share. covering up with plastic bags is a waste of time ,you just get wet from the inside .
i hope somebody has an answer to this question.

Bigtwin

jags said:
re such a thing as a warm waterproof jacket. when you get soaked you also get very cold

covering up with plastic bags is a waste of time ,you just get wet from the inside .

1. Yes - get a warm waterproof jacket - there are literally 1,00os on the market??

2. Yes, but you are warm and wet, and if you are only dealing with periods of rain rather than hours, you can avoid this. Porelle Dry's can be had on eBlag for under a tenner. I got some for my wife, and she's delighted, and isn't easily wooed by cycling in anything other than dry and sunny conditions.

I wouldn't tour without a wide-brimmed hat.
Combine that with a decent waterproof, and you'll be alright.
Personally, I've found the longer you stay in rain, the less breathable/more waterproof your coat needs to be, which means less effort.
Will still be good though.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Dear all

thanks for the advice, it is still hissing down here so I'll have to grin and bear it. Travelling at the moment so does anyone know a good bike shop in Budapest where I can get a waterproof hat for under helmet otherwise it looks like clingfilm over the front vents:blush:

Randochap

Senior hunter
BalkanExpress said:
Dear all

thanks for the advice, it is still hissing down here so I'll have to grin and bear it. Travelling at the moment so does anyone know a good bike shop in Budapest where I can get a waterproof hat for under helmet otherwise it looks like clingfilm over the front vents:blush:

Waterproof helmet cover for over helmet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
andrew_s said:

"By virtue of the additional visible surface area and the optional ultra bright colours, the bike umbrella improves your visibility to motorists when cycling and you will actually find that motorists tend to pass leaving a wider gap than normally. "

I bet they do. They must think anyone with that on their bike is a dangerous looney!:tongue:

Imagine, in a headwind....

Top Bottom