Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

snorri

Legendary Member
The ETA article I linked to yesterday had a string of comments and one shared this link: https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/
which I recommend (be prepared not to agree with all of it).
The last sentence in the second from last paragraph holds the key to cyclist safety!

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I was passing a tow-truck driver the other evening coming home and couldn't help but admire his lovely bright reflective gear! I almost stopped to ask where his company got it, as he stepped out of the truck and under the streetlamp he was radiant! I want to be super shiny!!! Not only is it easier to be seen at night but I just like shiny things...

Tizme

Veteran
I have a tip on how you can become invisible:

Ride a white touring bike with one red pannier on the right side of the bike, wear "normal"clothes, i.e. walking trousers and a blue long sleeved top, don't wear a helmet, ride uphill very slowly (only a month or so to the THR). Certainly worked for me, so many close passes I lost count, including the moron who decided to squeeze passed as we went through a traffic island - so close I ended up smacking the window (not something I normally do, but really, the road was empty just beyond the island). According to his passenger (he stopped to have a go at me- so he was in a real hurry) I deliberately swerved out at them, really? Who would come off worse in that situation? Unfortunately I get too angry to put forward a coherent argument at times like that and end up telling them they are morons and stop before I start swearing. Once they have gone I could quite eloquently argue my case! One day I will manage it, and probably be faced with a knuckle dragger who simple wants to run me over!

I am 5'6" tall and weigh around 9st, a lot of 13 year olds are bigger than me, it could easily have been a young, inexperienced rider and not a grumpy old git that they nearly struck! It's not surprising that most youngsters are reluctant to ride a bike.

A while back I watched in dismay as a driver berated a lad on his bike for "getting in the way", threatening to knock him over if he didn't move to the kerb- the lad must have been all of 10. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the driver then floored it away (all in a 30mph limit at school finishing time) before I had the chance to say anything - again not quick witted enough to note his number plate.

Perhaps I need to put my camera back on the handlebars or helmet (when I wear one).

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
It's movement that catches the eye and gets noticed. I've had SMIDSY when well lit and brightly dressed many times, but been spotted 'swerving all over the road' when more soberly dressed almost as often.

natnatroswell22

There are a lot of things to make you and your bike visible on the lane, Wearables and even accessories. I putted reflectors on my bike and spokelit led bike which is for the tires :smile:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
There are a lot of things to make you and your bike visible on the lane, Wearables and even accessories. I putted reflectors on my bike and spokelit led bike which is for the tires :smile:
I used reflective tape to add noticeability (is that a word? It is now, haha!) from the side view at night because most of my riding is at night. It is cheap, easy to use because you can put it anywhere, and very bright when lights hit it! I put it around my spokes and on my rims, and on my pedal arms so the motion catches people's attention. My brother has tires that have reflective sidewalls, which is really cool, too! High fives for nighttime visibility! :highfive:

natnatroswell22

It's the best we can do to keep us away from accidents which is becomming an issue each and everyday.

Top Bottom