Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@vickster Have you bought one yet?

What are your thoughts on VHS vs Betamax?

Just asking^_^
Where's the unlike button?

simon.r

Person
Where's the unlike button?

My Dad is a classic example of someone who takes so long to decide what to buy (given a choice of 5 or 6 similar things) that by the time he's decided, something else has come along to change his decision. The VHS / Betamax thing is a family joke.

Sorry if it didn't come across humoursly, but that's what was on my mind when I posted that.

No offence intended.

swansonj

Guru
"Entry level"

Have we established what it is that makes the considerable difference in price between different titanium frames?

With steel frames, you pay more for more exotic alloys with better properties that allow either lighter or stiffer frames; for more complex butting; for greater care over the workmanship. Do those same things apply to titanium? (Without having studied in detail, I get the impression many of them are similar alloys, and are any of them butted?)

Specifically, a mate in my LBS said that the reason Spa's frames/bikes are so cheap is that they are the "gas pipes" of the titanium world - but I've not grasped what that actually means in terms of materials or structure.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The Spa frame I looked at/rode was very poorly finished. I have no clue about metallurgy. For me, given I'm looking for a bike I'll want to ride, enjoy looking at and keep for more than a year. There are as far as I know two grades of Ti, 3Av and 6Av or something and the latter is more expensive (I'm going to assume its lighter, other than that, don't know)

I don't really get the entry level thing

Etape disc frame 54cm now £899, worth the compromise on TA? https://shop.enigmabikes.com/collections/factory-outlet/products/etape-disc-1 ^_^

Hmmm, when I was placing my order in April, I asked about any upcoming revisions and was told 'the Etape disc is a current model and will be continuing until 2018 at least'. I suppose strictly speaking if they keep the name then it will be, but I can't square that with "the Enigma Etape Disc will be getting overhauled later this year so we are clearing out our remaining frames to make way". A bit like their quoted frame weights, now removed from the site - not quite what they seem.

AlanW

Guru
Hmmm, when I was placing my order in April, I asked about any upcoming revisions and was told 'the Etape disc is a current model and will be continuing until 2018 at least'. I suppose strictly speaking if they keep the name then it will be, but I can't square that with "the Enigma Etape Disc will be getting overhauled later this year so we are clearing out our remaining frames to make way". A bit like their quoted frame weights, now removed from the site - not quite what they seem.

Yep, they said the exact same to me back in April to, when I asked about flat top disc mounting amongst other things and I quote: "if it isn't broke then we won't fix it, its our best seller and we have no plans to alter it".

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've received this from Enigma...

the Etape Disc has been updated and the new model will be available in early October. The new model has been completely redesigned and will feature thru-axle dropouts with flat-mount disc brake mounting. It will also have a new tapered head tube and has been improved in just about every way. There will also be a new full-carbon tapered front fork to match.

Maybe they decided to revisit following questions from customers?

However, for me, a potentially worrying diagnosis from rheumatologist means this is not now the right time to be dropping thousands on a new bike. I'll see how things progress

AlanW

Guru
The new model has been completely redesigned and will feature thru-axle dropouts with flat-mount disc brake mounting. It will also have a new tapered head tube and has been improved in just about every way. There will also be a new full-carbon tapered front fork to match.

Maybe they decided to revisit following questions from customers?

Yep, all things that I asked about and told no way, but if I really wanted them then I would have to go down the custom route, which I very nearly did. They said that the tapered headtube was "to racy" for the Etape and as a result it would loose some of its more gently ride characteristics.....yeah right. :ninja:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough. I guess businesses are allowed to change their minds, in response to customer needs and the market direction in general. Ultimately, there's choice out there
Did you get the Kinesis yet?

I'm still inclined by the J Guillem but it won't now be this year I doubt

Top Bottom