Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The boss has encouraged me to wait however rather than buy a sale model

I did know a good month ago that there was a new one coming :smile: but that it would be a little while. The custom option suggested to speed things up

The Spa frame I looked at/rode was very poorly finished. I have no clue about metallurgy. For me, given I'm looking for a bike I'll want to ride, enjoy looking at and keep for more than a year. There are as far as I know two grades of Ti, 3Av and 6Av or something and the latter is more expensive (I'm going to assume its lighter, other than that, don't know)

I don't really get the entry level thing
The Spa is likely plain gauge tubing (as they don't say otherwise), not a crime but not as light as double butted - same as steel. There are different qualities of Ti as well, generally unquoted by bike manufacturers (although Van Nicholas do say Aerospace grade, which is the best). There are also Sports and Scrap Grades.
3AL-2.5V – consisting of 94.5% ti, 3% aluminium and 2.5% vanadium – best suited to building bicycle frames because of optimal, strength, fatigue endurance, corrosion-resistance and workability.
6AL-4V- consisting of 6% aluminum, 4% vanadium and 90% ti. An exceptionally hard material that is useful for making drop-outs etc but difficult to make into a complete bicycle frame.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If anyone is interested, I've heard that the J Guillem Orient is expected to be available with T/As in November :smile: Frameset around €2000

AlanW

Guru
That's it, enough is enough. Chased the Kinesis GF Ti frame again that was promised for September and still no firm delivery date, in fact I was told no idea when I might receive it.....maybe November ?

So I've cancelled the frame and asked for a refund which was offered to me last month and I choose not to accept it, but enough is enough now. They don't deserve my money IMHO

adscrim

Veteran
That's it, enough is enough. Chased the Kinesis GF Ti frame again that was promised for September and still no firm delivery date, in fact I was told no idea when I might receive it.....maybe November ?

So I've cancelled the frame and asked for a refund which was offered to me last month and I choose not to accept it, but enough is enough now. They don't deserve my money IMHO
Get yourself a Wittson! - http://wittson.com/handmade-titanium-frames/titanium-road-race-frame-set-suppresio the current object of my lunchtime lustings.

They'll do you a road frame with discs and full set of mounts too!

adscrim

Veteran
Very nice indeed, but I would want to see and touch one before parting with any cash
Yes, I'm of the same opinion. Reading through some of the customer replies, it appears they're at Bespoke some years and will measure you up there. I just love the clean look of that road frame. Best start saving.

Last edited:
My other concern would not be able to talk face to face with someone in the event of a problem or warranty claim

Yes, all your UK consumer rights would amount to little in this instance, unless it is done through a UK dealer. Have you looked at Vaaru - I had some discussions with them following my Enigma debacle and they were very responsive - their MPA frame looked very good. Similarly, Laverack.

Top Bottom