Titanium bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'm fed up of my disc brakes squeaking on my bikes. When I get my titanium, it's definitely not having discs. I must get crap on the discs/pads which make them so noisy!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm fed up of my disc brakes squeaking on my bikes. When I get my titanium, it's definitely not having discs. I must get crap on the discs/pads which make them so noisy!

Experiences of disc brakes seem to vary wildly. I've had four Shimano Hydro systems over the years and not had a peep from any of them. Bedding them in properly and keeping them meticulously clean has always worked for me.

Only thing I don't like is the pad on metal 'graunching' noise that they make in use.

AlanW

Guru
The call of carbon fibre over titanium is still beckoning me and I fear that it could only be a matter of time.

I was in my LBS on Saturday afternon to drop of my Brompton for the BB recall and whilst in the shop it would have be very rude not to have a wander around.

Mistake......ended up looking at the new Trek Domaine SL8 Disc. Sooooo very light and rather tasty looking I have to admit with all the benefits of carbon plus the suppleness of a titanium frame thanks to the front and rear IsoSpeed decouplers. Life time warranty of the frame to!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm exploring a different option to scratch the titanium itch, I'll update if I do go that way :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not the right bike having heard from retailer, won't take a 28mm tyre with mudguards (or a 25)

Purchase back on hold

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not the right bike having heard from retailer, won't take a 28mm tyre with mudguards (or a 25)

Purchase back on hold
At this rate I'll have mine before you ^_^ About 12 months before I have sufficient funds :sad: Can I ask what put you off the Laverack? Was it purely the look of the bike or was there something else, as that & the Etape are on my shortlist at the moment

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
At this rate I'll have mine before you ^_^ About 12 months before I have sufficient funds :sad: Can I ask what put you off the Laverack? Was it purely the look of the bike or was there something else, as that & the Etape are on my shortlist at the moment
Too short warranty and little history behind the company. Aesthetic didn't do it for me either

Look at the J Guillem, it's gorgeous

AlanW

Guru
I must admit that Laverack is looking to be my favourite Ti contender at the moment.

@vickster just out of interest, but what do you see different on the J Guillem to the Laverack? And yes I would agree 10 years warranty on the Laverack isn't brilliant, its a lot better than many other Ti frame builders. Plus, and yes I know that the frames are made overseas, but at least you can go and talk face to face with the guys at Laverack rather than dealing solely with emails or phone calls.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I was told 5 year warranty at Spin. I just didn’t like the bike much when I looked at it.

They sell JGuillem at a highly regarded LBS about 4 miles away which would be a big plus

However, with an impending expensive house move and rickety health I’m not spending 3.5k on a bike in the near future

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've looked at the Guillem but I can't see no mention of bespoke frames & not sure the 60cm would be large enough :blush:
You can only ask about bespoke building but if going that way, Enigma or Reilly might be better for bigger frames. I'm a diddy 54 so all good :smile: do you really need bigger than a 60cm TT?

Top Bottom