To an old friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
So, in less than 2 hours, you and I are hitting the road – probably for the last time. I’m saying ‘probably’ because you’ve retired more times than Frank Sinatra!

I first saw you posing in a NashBar catalogue, resplendent in your red colour scheme and bright yellow lettering and knew that you were the one for me. I was working in Saudi at the time and because my company offered free shipping from the States, I ordered you.

Remember our first ride? From the compound down into Khamis and back – you coped very well with the hill but me….. We had some great rides out there – the Hanging Village, Wadiyain and who can ever forget our trips up Mt Soudah. Back in England and all those great rides and great adventures and finally, you joined me in Bangkok.

My first job was to give you a new facelift and that great red, white and blue paint job that people admire so much. Remember getting lost when we were on our first Thai century? Mrs Hippo was frantic with worry when she arrived home from work before us, I think you and I were both exhausted but happy!

You are 19 years old, only the frame and forks are original, your frame is slightly out of true and I don’t want to cause you more pain by having it cold bent so what am I going to do with you now?

I won’t sell you nor will I cannibalise you. I can’t scrap you because we have been through so much together so you are now head of the Hippo bike stable.

Your replacement? Yes, I have bought a new bike – Trek 520 – but it is not a replacement for you; you are irreplaceable!

Thanks for all the miles and memories

I hope I get 19 years out of at least one of my bikes; the Sirrus is the oldest at the moment (just under 5years, a whipper snapper) and all that remains original on that too is frame and fork plus the derailleurs.

DavieB

MIA
my Hardrock is getting on 7 and its only done about 200 miles if its lucky 0_o should last forever at that rate lol.

Congrats on becoming head of the garage
laugh.gif

D

Deleted member 1258

The bike I had the longest was my first Dawes, 12 speed white 531 frame with centre pull brakes, the transmision was 12 speed but I ran 7 speed indexing on it. I used it mostly for club runs for about eleven years then it spent several years on the turbo. Eventually I deliberately left it in the front garden one evening, it was gone the following morning, I hope the person that took it had some good rides on it. It had got to the stage where it needed major refurbishment, or a fixed conversion, and it wasn't worth the expense, the frame was second hand and I had built it up from spare parts, and it had done a lot of miles.
dawes 2.jpeg

bobg

Über Member
So, in less than 2 hours, you and I are hitting the road – probably for the last time. I’m saying ‘probably’ because you’ve retired more times than Frank Sinatra!

I first saw you posing in a NashBar catalogue, resplendent in your red colour scheme and bright yellow lettering and knew that you were the one for me. I was working in Saudi at the time and because my company offered free shipping from the States, I ordered you.

Remember our first ride? From the compound down into Khamis and back – you coped very well with the hill but me….. We had some great rides out there – the Hanging Village, Wadiyain and who can ever forget our trips up Mt Soudah. Back in England and all those great rides and great adventures and finally, you joined me in Bangkok.

My first job was to give you a new facelift and that great red, white and blue paint job that people admire so much. Remember getting lost when we were on our first Thai century? Mrs Hippo was frantic with worry when she arrived home from work before us, I think you and I were both exhausted but happy!

You are 19 years old, only the frame and forks are original, your frame is slightly out of true and I don’t want to cause you more pain by having it cold bent so what am I going to do with you now?

I won’t sell you nor will I cannibalise you. I can’t scrap you because we have been through so much together so you are now head of the Hippo bike stable.

Your replacement? Yes, I have bought a new bike – Trek 520 – but it is not a replacement for you; you are irreplaceable!

Thanks for all the miles and memories

I came over quite emotional..............

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have my Raleigh Max Ogre (The Tank) that is coming up for 15. I have stripped it down, keeping all the original parts as I originally was going to get it repainted, but now, I'm vaguely considering sawing it up so that I have tubing that can be reincarnated into another creation in the future.

It's just a bit past it now you see, but, after being seen too, my (t)rusty steed will live on ...in bits.

Well, if I can bring myself to cut it up that is.

Keith Oates

Janner
I liked the letter Mr. Hippo, I've got a Giant 'Racer' that's now 13 years old and also leave it hanging in the shed but I do say hello to it on a regular basis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
mr_hippo

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
lasthippo.jpg

We are back. Just a gentle 33km ride. The weather was just right and all traffic lights were on green - what a pleasant change!
So now, cuo of tea, shower and get down to ProBike!

D

Deleted member 1258

Free to god home would have been better than letting some pikey take it and no doubt dump it in a canal :sad:

Where we were living then had a large number of students and immigrants in the area, it was most likely one of those that had it. If we had a clear out and we put stuff out for the council to pick up we would often get people knocking the door and asking if they could take stuff off the pile.

Top Bottom