To Party, or not to Party?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prompted by a number of people I know hitting the half century this year I have been thinking ...

My own is coming up in the next few years but I havn't really celebrated a birthday since my 18th. I was going to for my 21st, however the death of my grandad the week before took me out of the party spirit.

I know that there will likely be pressure on me to have a party, or at least someone will arrange a "surprise" one, but I would rather treat it as I have for most of my life - just another day with at most a few cards from family.

So ... how can I avoid the enforced jovility without making an event of it?

Am I the only party grump on CC?

I save people the angst of forgetting by not celebrating.
When I reach my thirties, things might be a little different... :whistle: :smile:

mark barker

I hate birthdays, and can't think of much worse than a bunch of friends and family arriving to celebrate the fact that I haven't died yet. If the threat of a surprise party is likely then tell everyone you're going on a long holiday... By the time they work out you lied it'll be too late to sort a party (or I guess you could go on a holiday!)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So ... how can I avoid the enforced jovility without making an event of it?

Am I the only party grump on CC?

Why not treat your self to a birthday holiday and just go away somewhere nice (whatever defines your version of nice) ... hopefully they will assume that is your marking of your birthday.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Why not soften the blow, by making lots of little events of it? Instead of one big party, and the hassle that can involve (if not for you, then for the surprise arranger), why not use the year as an excuse to have lots of get togethers - one for close family, one for mates, one for colleagues, a nice bike ride for those who like that sort of thing... Spread the fun out, give yourself lots of things to look forward to, over a period of months instead of all around the day. Also, if on one occasion you don't feel in the party mood, it doesn't ruin the whole lot, whereas one big party might fall prey to a single bad mood or bad day.

I don't really do birthdays myself, this year I pretty much ignored it completely on the day, but I did sort of use it as an excuse to treat myself here and there, and have a drink out with mates etc.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I can see this escalating to the point where a big Cycle Chat hootenanny is organised in honour of Touche's 50th, and Touche is borne into the party raised aloft on a trike carried by lycra-clad lovelies, and the Rhythm Thieves are providing the music and there's a 50 mile cycle ride in fancy dress...and oh, the possibilities are endless....
smile.gif

I can see this escalating to the point where a big Cycle Chat hootenanny is organised in honour of Touche's 50th, and Touche is borne into the party raised aloft on a trike carried by lycra-clad lovelies, and the Rhythm Thieves are providing the music and there's a 50 mile cycle ride in fancy dress...and oh, the possibilities are endless....
smile.gif

Well I'm not going... :biggrin:

Just do what you feel most comfortable with. A number of my relatives celebrated big time when they had their 50ths, and having been along to their 'dos' maybe there was a little pressure on me to do the same. But I think most realised that's not what matters to me and I wasn't going to go down the same route - in the end we celebrated quietly much as any other birthday I've had.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had a combined 40th party with a girl from my then place of work. It was a bit of a non-event as far as I'm concerned. Would far prefer for these milestones to pass un-noticed these days. So for my 50th in about 18 months time :ohmy:, I will be going down the "off on holiday" routine, or just simply but politely telling people I don't want a party.

Funnily enough, the spate of 40th parties I went to 10 years ago has not resulted in a spate of 50th parties a decade later. I think most people are sick of them now. A bit like Christmas "party" nights :santa:.

Night Train

Maker of Things
My last party was for my 40th.
Didn't even plan anything for today, just enjoyed a small (cos I have to work tomorrow) 10 year old malt on my own! :smile:

I might plan a long weekend break for my 50th though as it will land on a Friday.

Top Bottom