To roast or not to roast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No, not another professional footballer thread but I have to confess to being a sucker for the traditional English roast dinner in the cooler months on a Sunday evening.

I'm really not fussy which meat either although lamb, beef, pork, chicken would be the order of preference if I had to choose.

Roast spuds, roasted root veggies and some greenery all served with a thick gravy.

What about you lot, or have you gone down the lasagne or curry route?

Noodley

Roast chicken and veg in the Noodley household this evening :tongue:

TVC

I do look forward to the winter roasts and stews at this time of year, just as by March all I want is a salad. I've just got back from the Caribbean where I've had some fantastic light, fresh and spicy food. However, on the plane back all I wanted was what I've just cooked us for tea today... mince and potato pie with a suit crust.... Nice!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm a roaster, but I doubt that I do more than three or four a year. Butterflied leg of lamb (which, really, is grilled), topside of beef and leg of pork.

potsy

Rambler
Chicken,roasties,mash,veg and gravy for us.
Always try to have a Sunday roast dinner,can't beat it.
thumbsup.png

levad

Veteran
No, not another professional footballer thread but I have to confess to being a sucker for the traditional English roast dinner in the cooler months on a Sunday evening.

I'm really not fussy which meat either although lamb, beef, pork, chicken would be the order of preference if I had to choose.

Roast spuds, roasted root veggies and some greenery all served with a thick gravy.

What about you lot, or have you gone down the lasagne or curry route?

What do you mean in the "cooler months"! Its roast every Sunday (or Monday if can't be done Sunday) and a cooked breakfast every Sunday, bacon and eggs :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I do look forward to the winter roasts and stews at this time of year, just as by March all I want is a salad. I've just got back from the Caribbean where I've had some fantastic light, fresh and spicy food. However, on the plane back all I wanted was what I've just cooked us for tea today... mince and potato pie with a suit crust.... Nice!

Double or single breasted?

I very rarely roast - not worth it for one. And tonight I'm using up stuff before going away for a week, so it's tuna, carrot and courgette on pasta and pesto.

Ooh I love a nice roast, but don't do roast dinner every week. On the rare occassion that I am in the same place as my other half, we always celebrate it with a slap up roast dinner with all the trimmings.

Last Sunday I had a canadian friend staying with me who has a Britain fetish, so I did roast beef, yorkshire pud, proper gravy made from the pan juices, home grown veg and roast potatoes, with horseradish and onions in vinegar (a Lancashire thing). She loved it!

Coincidentally, we had a roast lamb for dinner this evening, with brocolli, potatoes, onions, sauce and cranberry jam, my first traditional roast for yonks.

And for afters, chocolate cake with fresh blackberries and blackcurrants and custard!

BTW Rich! Do you want a tube of fishpaste? I'm back soon and will happily send you one (Sunday dinners will never be the same again :tongue: )

BTW Arch! Did you receive yours?

longers

Legendary Member
We cooked a very nice bit of pork a couple of weeks ago, I'd not normally choose pork but this was delicious.

Lasagne* tonight though as I'm on my tod, as Arch says - not worth the faff for one person.

I think I'd vote for ham then chicken in order of preference. Cauliflower cheese is a must if having ham.

*left over veggie one with salad and mayonnaise. You've got to have mayo haven't you?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Roasts all year round here, Mrs FF insists... I like 'em but not really the thing for a hot day.

Rib of Beef or Goose are my faves.
Must be proper gravy though made from roasting veg trimmings under the joint, adding wine and flour and reducing.... actually, it's the best bit!

Oh, and roast a couple of Onions with the spuds...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Rare beef or lamb would be first choice but chicken, goose, duck or piggy are welcome.

Last night's roast was prepared as being locally farmed pork knuckle but turned out to be ham; a misunderstanding at the farmers market!!!

Top Bottom