W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1. Can I start the 9 speed cassette at the second cog (the 12) or does the smallest cog need to used to hold it on properly? No
2. Obviously I will replace the chain but should it be an 8 speed chain or a 9 speed chain as that is effectively what the cassette is?
3. How many extra links would I need to have in the new chain?
4. Will the finished article be a bu--er to index?
5. Will it even change up and down correctly?
6. If using the small front will I end up with a "slack chain"?
7. Will my rear mech (pic below) be able to cope with the extra distance between 12-30, it certainly doesn't look the longest cage I have seen.
8. Am I nuts for even contemplating this and should I just buy a replacement 8 speed 13-26 and 8 speed chain?

Thanks in advance.
The answer to all the above is no. Just do it right or don't bother.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
the problem of if the rear mech could handle it

It'll cost you £9.25 to find out. Worst case, you'll get some chain slap if you're foolish enough to use small/ small.

how many extra links to put in the chain.

You're going up four teeth.

The chain only wraps half the sprocket, so that's two more teeth.

So one chain link max, but probably ok at current length.

davidphilips

Veteran
Your rear derailleur should be ok for 9 speed and long enough for an 11/30 cassette but as 9 speed uses a different spacing the chain and shifters (if they are indexed) would need changed so tbh far better just to buy a new 8 speed cassette. Dont really like to say it but your compleat drive chain would both work better and last longer if kept really clean.

In my defence David I had just come back yesterday from 40 miles of very dirty / muddy country roads which all included two floods.

You may be more pleased with it today, post clean.
View attachment 499966
Your large and middle chainring ist kaput.

It will run noisy and there's a very high chance of chainsuck when in the middle ring.

Good job on the cleaning, BTW.

Still works perfectly Yellow Saddle, what are the give aways that they are kaput.

I keep my best bike a lot cleaner by the way.

View attachment 499989
I can see from the shape of the teeth. They've become thin (in profile, not thickness) and shark-fin like i.e. looks like a wave that's cresting. A good tooth is perfectly symmetrical.

I've posted pictures here before of good vs bad teeth, I just can't find it here. Maybe your searching is better than mine.

Top Bottom