Mercian Do it all bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ah right, that would make sense i suppose. I've seen pumps behind the seat tube before but this Mercian seems to have surprisingly short chainstays. I'd be worried in case my leg kept hitting it, but i guess that doesn't happen

According to the previous owner it was built to order as his do it all bike that seem to have included touring / club riding , time trials , grass racing and off course general riding

Its the first one i have seen with pump pegs on the drive side rather than the non drive side

midlife

Guru
Would have been built for 27 x 1 1/4" wheels I guess so yep typical sprightly Mercian geometry :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Would have been built for 27 x 1 1/4" wheels I guess so yep typical sprightly Mercian geometry :smile:

Shaun

Still on 27" wheels thankfully.

WP_20170326_008.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A bit of tinkering and hey presto tyres swapped and a nice set of guards fitted this afternoon, I just don't know where the guards have come from.

All ready for some commuting tomorrow afternoon.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Looks like it would make a good commuter, I like a sharp handling bike in traffic. I think the bars are butt ugly mind, but I can see the sense on a do-it-all

mikeymustard

Veteran
Didn't they destroy/lose them when they moved premises in the 70s? Shame though.
Just had a look at their new website - my, they've gone a bit upmarket haven't they?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Didn't they destroy/lose them when they moved premises in the 70s? Shame though.
Just had a look at their new website - my, they've gone a bit upmarket haven't they?

I don't know how what or when just a shame.

Had a couple of short rides now and a bit of tinkering so its starting to look more the part.

WP_20170328_001.jpg
WP_20170328_003.jpg

Just waiting for some brake pads to turn up and the bar tape to be applied once I settle on stem length.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Looks like a proper bike now, very nice indeed :smile: were you planning on shortening or lengthening the stem? The frame looks to be slightly shorter on the top tube but that could just be an optical illusion

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks like a proper bike now, very nice indeed :smile: were you planning on shortening or lengthening the stem? The frame looks to be slightly shorter on the top tube but that could just be an optical illusion

thanks @mikeymustard shortening but not by much , i see what you mean by the top tube will have to measure it , i was just reacting to feel , but wont do any more changes till i have one of my Selle smp saddles on and set up then see .

Oh and i need to take the lovely old bottle cage off as its too big an i/d for newer size bottles

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had first double figure ride after using it for commuting the last day and half thought i would treat it for a nice pre work 12 miles and it rode well .

Even tried the dynamo lights boy how did people ride with only them

Just need to swap saddle over and then i can do some longer rides at the weekend ^_^

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That bike looks just so. As a daily tool that's gotta be hard to beat.

You going to be keeping it?

It does all i ask of a bike very nicely and in a lot of style

As for the keeper question ask me again in a few weeks once i have done some 40+ mile rides with it all set up etc etc

Top Bottom