1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toe overlap

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Maz, 2 Jun 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

Is this only a problem on road bikes if you've got massive feet like me? Or is it because some frames are not properly proportioned or something?
    Who has this problem and what bike do you have?

thanks

2. walker

walker New Member

I think we've seen this before Maz,

is it a road bike or a hybrid/mtb?

3. RedBike

RedBike New Member

It's very common on most road bikes. Never normally causes a problem.

4. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. ;)
    How is it not normally a problem? Do you stop pedalling when turning?

5. Milo

Milo Veteran

Most bikes have it nothing to worry about tbh unless your incapable of riding a bike.

6. walker

walker New Member

No, this is wrong, if it is a road bike it doesn't I have not yet come across a road bike that has overlap.

as I said, if its a hybrid or a tourer yes, but not a road bike.

7. Milo

Milo Veteran

I have come across one although much more without it I agree.
    Twas a rather odd bataglyn frame though.

8. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

What does that mean?

9. TallPhil

TallPhil New Member

I have some overlap on my (custom-built Roberts) tourer. It has never been a problem. I don't know about you, but I never turn the front wheel enough for the guard to be in front of my toes in normal riding - it would be quite some turn! Maybe when manoeuvering, but then with a foot out of the clips anyway.

10. walker

walker New Member

Ah those Bataglyn frames, Always looked better than a colnago in my eyes, never handled just as good though:biggrin:

11. Milo

Milo Veteran

Sorry tim that sounded a bit ott.
    I have always found if you do have it its one of those thing you automatically cater for if you get what I mean.
    They look lovely and ride lovely but the toe overlap is just plain silly on it.
    Though that is the only one I have ever had a go on.

12. Milo

Milo Veteran

This twas a Steele vintage beauty though.

13. gavintc

gavintc Guru

It is a problem on the shorter framed road bikes. I have not ridden many bikes as I am relatively new to road cycling. But, all 3 carbon bikes I have ridden had two overlap, but my winter Ribble does not.

To be honest, it is not a problem. You only notice when moving slowly in a car park or perhaps turning out of a junction from stationary. When you are actually spinning along - completely ignorable.

14. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

I have a toe overlap. I found out when i first took my bike out, it didnt stop me but it was annoying.
    I dont have a problem with it though, even at low speeds, and really really low speeds and taking sharp courners. Even when i was learning to track stand i didnt have a problem. Aswell as on this thing i was doing where i slowly got the handlebars as far as they could go whilst i was peddling.

15. I've never really noticed it on my road bike but I have on my flat bar bikes.