Tomorrow I go fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I've been wanting to give riding fixed a go for some time. Rather than putting together or buying a whole new bike (especially with my company dropping C2W) I thought my current SA 3-speed hub geared bike would be ideal as a base, simply detaching gear cable, removing wheel, replacing with fixed wheel when I feel the urge.

So a few days ago I received a track wheel that I bought off ebay for £30! Tomorrow I head into town and buy a fixed sprocket and lockring!

Just have a few questions if I may:

1. The sprocket on my SA hub is 17 tooth, so effectively having a 17 tooth fixed sprocket would be the same ratio as riding in direct drive 2nd gear on my 3 speed, right?

2. Thinking of getting an 18 tooth sprocket, just to make the hills a touch easier - would this be sensible, and without changing the chain, how much further forwards would this push the wheel? Current its right down the back of the dropouts (old road bike slanted horizontal dropouts), so I guess I have plenty to play with? Would it make much of a noticeable difference?

3. Do I need anything other than a sprocket and lockring? I'm hoping whatever shop I get it from will be happy to at least lend me a lockring tool or offer to stick it on themselves. For someone who hasn't done this before, is it a big deal?

Below is the wheel in question. Apart from the flat tyre on it (my fault - I knew that innertube was dodgy), look ok?

12082011002.jpg

1. It will be similar, but the effect of having a fixed gear is more than just riding in an equivalent gear with the ability to freewheel, but it will do as a rough approximation.

2. To see how much of a difference, use Sheldon's gear calculator, and from his article on singlespeed he says "Changing either sprocket size by one tooth is the equivalent of moving the axle 1/8" (4 mm)"

3. Rather than a lockring tool (C spanner?), I persuade the lockring into place using a flat bladed screwdriver in one of the grooves and tapping the end with a hammer.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
1. It will be the same ratio. Do you spend most of your time in 2nd gear? How many teeth does the chain ring have?
2; The axle will actually come in closer to the bottom bracket by adding more teeth to the sprocket or chain ring (essentially shortening the chain). If Touche is right that will be by 4mm.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Cheers!

I did it :smile:

Took a while to find a suitable sprocket and lockring - it's a miche hub which means it only takes miche sprockets and lockrings. Was only able to find a miche lockring - had to use a different sprocket which fits but isn't quite deep enough, so a spacer was employed.

Just attached the wheel to the bike - easy peasy! Fits nicely, chain line is good!

About to take it on a ride - just one issue.

There's a slight rattle as it turns, like a tiny clunk each time a tooth enters the chain. This happens moving both ways. I expect I need to get the wheel looked at. Any ideas what it is? Chain is 1/8th half link and has been fine for the last six months, might just be a little stretched I guess, sprocket needing bedding in a bit maybe?

Now to tootle about my street and see how I get on. Wish me luck! ;)

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
It's probably sensible to get a nice new chain to go with the nice new sprocket, which may have much longer teeth than your previous ones.

Enjoy you ride!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Well that was interesting!

I was expecting that I would be skid stopping and trackstanding almost immediately. Nah. I could barely slow down using only my legs. I think I've done something to my hip trying!

Not sure I get it I'm afraid!

I'll keep at it though, maybe even ride to work with it Monday.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
That's singlespeed stuff rather than fixed. Quite different fittings.
But thanks for the thought.

Ooops sorry :blush:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
google fixed gear techniques, i think 63 inch website is the best one for beginners. i went fixie about 700 miles ago, i won't be going back. although at 42 years old and heavy i found leg breaking a bit iffy so i put a back brake on, much much better and gives me more confidence when hurtling downhill. it is weird at first. i can reasonably track stand, tho again i prefer to take it easy on my body and unclip.

good luck

Wobbly John

Veteran
There's a slight rattle as it turns, like a tiny clunk each time a tooth enters the chain. This happens moving both ways. I expect I need to get the wheel looked at. Any ideas what it is? Chain is 1/8th half link and has been fine for the last six months, might just be a little stretched I guess, sprocket needing bedding in a bit maybe?

This sometimes happens when you run the chain too tight, or if the chainline is out. Slacken the chain a ta and see if that helps.

JDP

Andiamo

I was expecting that I would be skid stopping and trackstanding almost immediately. Nah. I could barely slow down using only my legs. I think I've done something to my hip trying!

I find it easier to trackstand on my single speed rather than the fixed. I think it's because I have learnt to use the brakes to control the movement rather than the pedals!

I have never come close to a skid stop, and I'm glad about that and don't wish to change the fact. I'll happily stick to my two, (yes two!) brakes.

Track stands will come, I find it easier on my fixed than my geared bike tbh. Fixed is fun, but you do need to have every single one of your wits about you all the time on the road.

Stick at it, fixed is good. That said I've flipped my wheel to ss for a change at the moment :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

The 63 website is here http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_1.htm
I wouldn't worry to much about track stands and skid stops, I've been on fixed for years and can barely track stand, and have never skid stopped, except at low speed on ice and snow.

Top Bottom