too sensible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
this sunday i did what was, for me, a long fast training ride with the club (60 miles at 17/18mph average). monday morning my left knee was painful, although it did get a bit better before the ride home.

as it was still uncomfortable on the ride home, i have commuted in the car today. have i done the right thing? my knee felt fine when i got up, even going up/down stairs.

I dunno, couldn't you have used public transport. Oh! where are we? Health and Fitness, right. Then my answer is yes and get some stuff from Boots, called Biofreeze.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Crackle said:
I dunno, couldn't you have used public transport. Oh! where are we? Health and Fitness, right. Then my answer is yes and get some stuff from Boots, called Biofreeze.

no public transport option (work is on a busy country road with no bus route or even pavement). what does this biofreeze thing do? if it's just a pain relief thing i'm not bothered, as i prefer to know if it's still painful or not.

edit: seems it aids recovery, i'll send the wife to boots…

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
FWIW, when I borked my knee doing kung fu, I found half hour on/half hour off for a couple of nights with an ice pack did the trick.

Well the pain might be an indication of swelling so the Biofreeze will reduce that and hence ease the pain. It's good stuff and gives a lovely tingly feeling when applied. All the physiotherapists use it.

the_oaf

Might be totally different but I developed a rather painful right knee on a club ride and it was a symptom of an inflamed sciatic nerve, brought on by a neck strain that didn't feel too bad. Leg bloody kills me know but physio is helping ;)

alp1950

Fundamental rule for sports injuries: do not keep exercising until the acute phase has settled.

It's obvious really, but it's all too easy for common sense to be disregarded when it involves a sport you can't bear to miss.

Look at this way- if you carry on exercising you risk turning an acute injury that will probably clear up in a few days, into a chronic problem that might keep you away from your sport for weeks or months. A few days lay-off will be worth it in the long run.

02GF74

Über Member
for sure. rest it until all is well and then some more.

I had something go in my right leg, tendon or something behind the knee after a run, so bad that I was hobbling. It recovered enough for my next run a couple days later so I ran again, with leg support, Deep Heat etc.. This cycle went on for quite a few months then I got sensible and stopped for a few months.

Not had it since.

As ^^^ say, it is hard to discipline yourself when it is something you want or have to do.

Top Bottom