Took the long way around today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given the surfeit of mince pies, the promise of some cold, clear weather, and relatively traffic-free roads, I decided to cycle all the way to work this morning. I thought it would be nice way to get some miles in, on a day when it doesn’t matter too much if I’m a bit late.

Well, some of my assumptions were wrong – it was wet and blowy this morning. But I’d spent 1.5 hours fettling the fast bike and laying out my kit last night, so I wasn’t to be deterred, and set off with a happy heart and a song on my lips at 0610.

My route is Chatham-Cuxton-Luddesdown-Longfield-Darenth-Swanley-Chislehurst-Bromley-Elmers-End-Thornton-Heath-Norbury. The first part was scary – dark, dark, dark country lanes and choppy hills. I have good lights but was still inclined to lean on the brakes a little. At Darenth I lost 45 mins trying to get out of the warren of little and confusing doubling-back and going-over-again lanes. At Chislehurst the sleet started in earnest. By Bromley South I was cold, miserable, hungry, and still had 8 miles to go.

But arrive I did, with sore legs, cold feet, and a silly grin. I’m now tired and wondering what the trade-off between doing some work, putting wet kit on, and cycling back to Bromley South to pick up my train shall be. But I’m glad I did it.

The route in numbers:
Got up: 0515
Set off: 0610
Miles: 37
Attempts on my life: 3
Got lost: 1
Nearly fell off the bike: 1
Hours on the bike: 3.5
Big silly grin: 1

Happy New Year, everyone.

snakehips

Good luck for the return journey. Start about now would be my advice.

Snake

My Library

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one mate, well done indeed....... it's pith poor weather in these parts.... so don't go overdoing it.

OP
OP
T
Well, a very tough cycle back to Bromley South (8 miles) into the teeth of that sleet and wind, to jump onto the train back home. I'm now showered, wrapped up warm on the sofa with Leo playing with his jigsaw on the floor. 45 miles in mid-winter - lovely!

Top Bottom