took up cycling.. lost 5 stone in 8 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kaiser

Hi everybody..just thought i would come on & tell all about my first year cycling regularly..

after buying a £500 ridley road bike, my partner bought me a turbo for last xmas.. to get me through the winter months to start with..

i couldn't do 15 mins on the turbo when i started, my belly would hardly let my knees do a full rotation.. i was sweating like an alco in an off license.. & i hated it !!!

eventually i started out on the road with a friend, discovered it was much easier when your actually cycling for real, did 6 miles my first night out & was really surprised..

over the next few months i did 3 nights on the trainer, never more than 45mins & had built up to 2hr 30 milers about 3 times a week. and strangely it wasn't a chore any more & vast amounts of sweat made me feel awesome !!

ate a sensible diet as well, cut out the crap, salads for lunch everyday..

i went from 18stone to 13 stone in 8 months & it changed my life.. had to buy a complete new wardrobe, or resort to clothes that are 5 years old i never got rid of !! lol

if your starting to cycle for weightloss, believe me it works !!!

& it's pretty good fun too.. :smile:

also i wanna say i know turbos are boring (well they are) & alot of people hate them, but they really improve fitness for when you go out on the road, plus it handy when its pishing.. lol

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well done enjoy your cycling

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Well done!, fantastic stuff!

Hoping i can follow that... currently down to 15.5 stone from 18.2 stone over the last 16 months. Bit more still to go though.....

Have you found your weight has levelled out now or are you still losing it as quickly as before?

broomwagon

Well done fella, great effort. I've lost a stone so far though I didn't really return to cycling for that, but very bit helps and I feel much better. Like you, the clothing doesn't fit now!

screenman

Legendary Member
What a star, now all we need to do is educate more of the overweight population to the benefits. I feel a fake as I only lost 4 stone of unwanted lard.

pshore

Flippin' Hell ! They should give bikes on prescription - they are a miracle cure. It's not just the bike, they seem to be a catalyst for changing your diet too, maybe because of the direct connection between food and fuel and also health required to power yourself everywhere.

Well done !

400bhp

Guru
Well done. :bravo:

But a word of caution-that is a big weight loss (both absolute and relative) in a short space of time. It will be very easy to put it back on.

Chris-H

Über Member
Well done mate that is a very impressive acheivement,i took up cycling to lose the lard but not doing as well as i hoped,still at least i enjoy it though,maybe one day i'll have the same enthusiasm and will power that you have shown,keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Well done mate and a timely reminder oif the joys of indoor cycling, theres 2 inches of hail in our street at the moment .

Holdsworth

Über Member
Well done on your weight loss, it is a satisfying feeling when you realise how much lighter you are a couple of months in. I myself managed a loss of 4 stone to 12 stone since I started in July last year, it has remained steady for 6 months now and I'm happy.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
My story is kind of the same as the OP. Was 18.5 stone in May, took up cycling......End of Nov was just under 14st. 4.5st in 7months. I didn't turbo, but did loads of road miles (the mild autumn really helped) and also circuit training with my local British Military Fitness guys. Final goal is to get to 12.5st. I also had no clothes I could wear. My business suits now look like clown outfits. So everyone is getting me clothes shop vouchers for xmas. I don't have room in my house for an indoor turbo, so I've bought a cyclocross bike for winter training and continue to rack up the miles. If I can just maintain my weight and fitness over winter I'll be happy, then at least I can hit it hard come spring.

Top Bottom