Tool Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Probably a very girlie thing to ask but what tools would you recommend I carry with me apart from the obligatory pump, tyre levers, puncture repair patches / spare innertube!? is there anything you just wouldn't go out with out?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Spoke key, multi-tool (hex/allen keys), chain break tool, zip ties & spare batteries. Always make sure you have debit card and cash also :thumbsup:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Oh not again this come up from time to time

1 P*ncture repair kit
1 allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Cassette tool and chain whip
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
hypercracker
Spare nuts, bolts, powerlinks
Wire cutters
Pliers
2 small screw drivers
Small sockets to fit screw driver handle
First aid kit with triangular bandage paracetamol, co-codamol, gaviscon tablets
Batteries for rear light and computer and bulbs
Small tyre pump (not mini)
1 Co2 pump
Zip ties
spare keys for house, bike locks
Phone
Pen and paper
10 sheets of kitchen roll
Very small bottle of hand cleaner
Insulation tape
£5 in small change
Small roll of gaffer tape
Brake and gear cables
Spare bite valve for camalbac
Small roll string
Spare gloves
but seeing your a girlie stand there looking helpless I'm sure someone would come to help you :rolleyes:

battered

Guru
Those are your basics. After that the answer is "nothing you don't know how to use". No point having a chain tool if you don't know how it works.

I would add a set od Allen keys (the folding sets are OK if you get the decent ones) knowing that 90% of a modern bike runs on 5mm Allen fittings, and a multitool with chain breaker. A Sram quicklink is a good idea, I really must buy one and carry it.

The list shrinks and grows depending on where you are. On an easy commute you can get away with 5mm Allen, pump, levers and a tube. If touring rural Guatemala, you couls add a chain tool, a folding tyre, and an AK 47.

battered

Guru
[long list]
...Small roll string
Spare gloves

Jesus, which haulier do you use to ship it all about for you? If I thoght I needed all that to bike to work I'd give it up and use the car.

OP
OP
rodgy-dodge

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member

1 P*ncture repair kit
1 allan keys
1 set of tyre levers + 2 spare
3 inner tubes
Folding tyre
Tyre patches
1 small head torch in winter
marigold gloves
Small length of chain (3 inches)
1 small chain tool
Cassette tool and chain whip
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
hypercracker
Spare nuts, bolts, powerlinks
Wire cutters
Pliers
2 small screw drivers
Small sockets to fit screw driver handle
First aid kit with triangular bandage paracetamol, co-codamol, gaviscon tablets
Batteries for rear light and computer and bulbs
Small tyre pump (not mini)
1 Co2 pump
Zip ties
spare keys for house, bike locks
Phone
Pen and paper
10 sheets of kitchen roll
Very small bottle of hand cleaner
Insulation tape
£5 in small change
Small roll of gaffer tape
Brake and gear cables
Spare bite valve for camalbac
Small roll string
Spare gloves
but seeing your a girlie stand there looking helpless I'm sure someone would come to help you :rolleyes:

Ha haa surely you can't be serious, I've only got a small bag big enough for my nutro bar - does this mean I have to buy panniers too ..... looks like I need to book a course as well on how to use all this little lot....:cheers:

Matthames

Über Member
On a normal ride all the tools I carry with me is a pump, spare tube, glueless patches, allen key, screwdriver, chain splitter and a spoke key. Occasionally I just stick with the pump, spare tube and patches.

If you don't know how to use a tool, either learn how to use it or leave it out. The side of the road is not the place you want to start learning how to do something.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have a multi-tool and small screwdriver in my small tool kit. In my larger kit I take a chain splitter, crank remover and spanner to fit and adjustable spanner.

OP
OP
rodgy-dodge

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
On a normal ride all the tools I carry with me is a pump, spare tube, glueless patches, allen key, screwdriver, chain splitter and a spoke key. Occasionally I just stick with the pump, spare tube and patches.

If you don't know how to use a tool, either learn how to use it or leave it out. The side of the road is not the place you want to start learning how to do something.

Cheers Matthames, Yeah your right its taken me all my courage to go out on my own having only just learned how to take the wheels of my bike and fix a puncture- never even thought I may have to replace/ repaire a spoke:unsure: ... its given me food for thought though! there's lots for me to learn...does anyone do tutorials on here? might be a good idea if someone has the time.

battered

Guru
You don't need to replace a spoke. OK, if you are 100 miles from Ulan Bator you might, but for the rest of is it's just not an issue. I've beaten the hell out of my wheels and spokes, the only time I bent one I ignored it and fixed it when I got home. As for a crank puller, the only time you need one is to fettle your bottom bracket (fnaar). So if you ever use it, what are you going to do? You won't have a spare BB so if it's knackred, it#s knackered and so are you.

Eddie

If you were that worried about it you can get bike break down cover! I have an iphone and so I will always be able to find the nearest LBS in an emergency.

OP
OP
rodgy-dodge

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
If you were that worried about it you can get bike break down cover! I have an iphone and so I will always be able to find the nearest LBS in an emergency.

Yeah I was thinking of just taking my RAC card out with me should all else fail. along with a hairbrush, mascara and lippy. LOL... but honestly I would like to learn more about bike maintenance so I'm looking at whats available near me

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I didn't read numbnuts list as it was too long...but you might like a light waterproof jacket if he hasn't noted it.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I try to keep whatever tools I need down to only the stuff I need to fix a puncture.

1 box of mixed patches, with glue and powder.
2 tubes
3 tyre levers
1 pump
1 multi too containing hex keys and screwdrivers
1 small adjustable spanner.

if the chain fails I'll be walking home, or wheeling the bike to the nearest place I can get a replacement or get it repaired. I may just order a replacement chain as a spare to add to my kit.

If I'm on a long bike ride I'll have extra water, food and a jacket, wallet and a charged mobile and lights.

If it's a really long bike ride I take a small portable radio with me (eton mini300), just in case I need it to relieve the boredom of a long walk home!

Top Bottom