Tools while touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barnesy

Im preparing for my third tour now, first two were in Ireland and now im planning on just over 2 weeks camping in France.

Now between a friend and i we will have enough spares but for tools i have only ever carried a small multi tool for use on the bike.

I had never thought and im glad i never needed additional tools such as pliers, a knife or scissors etc. So i have been looking into buying a multi tool to carry alongside my bike tool which is just allan keys and screwdrivers and a chain tool.

Do you guys carry any multi tools such as a swiss army knife or leatherman? s it justifiable to pay the extra money for a product made by say leatherman over a cheap imitation? After all i may not even use it?

Also what are the legalities of having one of these in a pannier, im aware its illegal to carry a locking blade unless you can prove that you need to use it

avalon

Guru
The problem with multi tools is that you may be carrying the extra weight of tools that you would never use on a bicycle tour. It may be better to look at the tools you may need for the most common repairs and buy accordingly. Having said that, a multi tool may be lighter than a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a knife so in the end it comes down to personal preference.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Spoke key, separate chain tool (is the one on the multitool practical?), small adjustable wrench, swiss army knife, NBT2 (aka hypercracker - I haven't bought this yet but intend to, in place of a chain whip, on HelenD's recommendation).

andym

Über Member
Personally I wouldn't bother with a chaintool - use an SRAM PowerLink (or one of the other similar products).

I'm also not sure about pliers. The only job for which you might need one is replacing a gear cable - but the cutters on pliers are usually a bit rubbish, so if you'd be better off with a pair of small wirecutters.

I wouldn't bother with a Leatherman etc .

I would recommend a Spokey-style spoke tool. I carry a small adjustable spanner and a Park cassette tool.

As far as a knife is concerned, these are useful for making you lunch however, you can take a small penknife or swiss army knife on a plane or Eurostar (or at least these are legal in the UK) but these aren't that useful IMO. One option would be to buy an Opinel abroad and then dump it at the end of the tour.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn't bother with a chaintool - use an SRAM PowerLink (or one of the other similar products).

But when the chain snaps, you'll need to remove the broken link before you can fit the PowerLink. For that, you'll need the chain tool. And if you have a chain tool, you don't need the PowerLink (you can always just shorten the chain by two links).

HelenD123

Guru
Spoke key, separate chain tool (is the one on the multitool practical?), small adjustable wrench, swiss army knife, NBT2 (aka hypercracker - I haven't bought this yet but intend to, in place of a chain whip, on HelenD's recommendation).

Unfortunately my NBT2 saw far too much use!

My list is pretty much the same as Rich's. I carried SRAM quick links and donated a pair to a friend when his chain broke. The plates were bent so it wasn't something a chain tool could easily fix. The tweezers on the swiss army knife were helpful for getting debris out of tyres when I had a flat, otherwise it wasn't used for bike repairs. Unfortunately the cork screw didn't get any use :sad: .

EDIT: I'll bow to UnclePhil's superior knowledge about chain fixing!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Pliers can be handy, too - not for cutting cables, though. If you have to fit a new cable and it's too long, just coil up the excess. But if you get a big thorn in a tyre which then snaps off, a pair of narrow-nosed pliers can be invaluable to remove the stump, or it will cause more punctures.

If you're going to carry a cassette tool, why? Broken spokes, presumably. So you'll need to carry spare spokes too, and the casette tool won't be much use without a chain whip. A Hypercracker is a better option for this reason - the bike gets used as the chain whip.

If you're on a camping tour, I know it's a cliche, but a Swiss army knife is really useful. Apart from cutting things, I've fixed things by cutting up coke cans from the road verge to use as shims with it; you can open tins and bottles with it; you can file or cut your nails with it; I've replaced a tyre and used the scissors to make a boot for the next damaged tyre out of the old one...

By the time you're carrying camping gear, you won't be too concerned about the weight of a small roll of tools. But you must know how to use them or they're no use at all.

andym

Über Member
But when the chain snaps, you'll need to remove the broken link before you can fit the PowerLink. For that, you'll need the chain tool. And if you have a chain tool, you don't need the PowerLink (you can always just shorten the chain by two links).

Fair point. I must admit that as I've never snapped a chain I tend to think of snapping a chain as a remote a possibility (possibly mistakenly) so a chaintool is one of the few things I'm happy to leave at home. On the other hand being able to take a chain off is fairly useful.

I have to confess that the one time I have used my cheapo leatherman-type tool was to pull a thorn out of a tyre. so yes maybe take a small pair of pliers for that.

i'd agree that a bottle opener/tin opener is a pretty useful piece of kit.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
But when the chain snaps, you'll need to remove the broken link before you can fit the PowerLink.

Guess how I know this!

jay clock

Massive member
I always take a cassette tool and a chain breaker, a spare brake and gear cable and load of cable ties.

is it justifiable to pay the extra money for a product made by say leatherman over a cheap imitation?
I have a lovely Leatherman but use a cheaper fake for touring. It has all the knifey bits, plus pliers, scissors and a corkscrew. And if it gets nicked from under the saddle it is not pricey to replace

I'm off on my tour in May south of france. This is my first proper tour I have never used or herd of a cassette tool what would I use one for?

This is one part of getting ready for the tour that's bothering me getting the tool list right and knowing how to use should need arise.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Unless you are capable of removing the cassette and carry spare spokes of the right lengths to replace them, it probably isn't worth bothering with RI. I've always carried one but I'm yet to need it as the only time I had spoke trouble there was a bike shop handily placed.

Incidentally, Jayclock, how much fun and fuss did we all have prior to your NZ trip when discussing whether a chain whip was necessary, with Bonj leading the case for the opposition!:whistle: Happy Days :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

barnesy

I know at least i will be in France and not in the wilderness so if a serious fault is caused to the bike i can get to a town to get it fixed so tools for small repairs will be taken.

Pliers, knife, bottle opener and a screwdriver is what im thinking could be handy for things not related to the bike, cooking etc

Im also touring South France in May Southisland, i may run into you

e-rider

crappy member
Gerber is the Taiwanese version of the USA leatherman - significantly cheaper and pretty decent quality too!

I take an original swiss army knife (Huntsman) a Gerber suspension and Topeak Alien II along with chain oil and inner tubes. I also tape 2 spare spokes the correct length for the rear wheel to my chainstay. I don't carry the tools to replace them but at least when I find ANY bike shop (even Halfords) I don't have to worry about them having the correct spokes; just the tools to get the cassette off etc.

snorri

Legendary Member
I tour in the belief that when touring in Europe I'm never very far from help. :whistle:
I just carry appropriate Allen keys a screwdriver and a small pipewrench which will tighten up any nuts that come loose, some adhesive plastic tape and a few cable ties. When these items are insufficient, I find some local currency or a credit card does the job.

Top Bottom