TOP 5!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
hey! so been cummuting to the station for about two months now and loving it! even had my first really wet ride the other day and enjoyed it!! :tongue: and as xmas is on the way i want to get me some gadgets! :thumbsup:

so what are your top 5 gadgets for the bike? and top 5 for the rider??

p.s riding a scott hybrid if that matters!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
magicshine light

smart 2x 1/2 watt rear lights

topeak road morph pump

Multi tool with a chain breaker

crud racer mud gaurds

spd

buff

base layers

overshoes

At least 1 spare bike :biggrin:

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Let's have a think now...

Air zound horn (saved my bacon a few times in Greece this year)
Magicshine (has to be seen to be believed)
Two rear lights - one strobed
High viz vest
Multitool
Good quality kevlar tyres (to help avoid punctures - it's a nuissance if you have a puncture on the way to work!)

YahudaMoon

Über Member
For the bike

1 The bike
2 Pannier bags
3 pedals
4 Mudgaurds
5 Lights

Me

1 Designer cycle rags
2 Shoes. No Im not a girl
3 Headwear (no helmets)
4 as above
5 Lock n Cable

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
My ear drum bursting 115 db 'Thunder Horn'.
My retina burning Twin 'Cree Ultrafire' torches.
My un-puncturable (I may regret saying that) Schwalbe Marathon/Durano Plus tyres.
My MP3 player......I love a nice podcast.
My Crud Roadrace mudguards.

I wish you'd said top 10, I could go on.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Bike:

1. Video Camera (Very useful)
  2. Saddle bag (TARDIS)
  3. Puncture proof Continental City Rides (Had them on for about 1 1/2 years now)
  4. Spoke reflectors
  5. Speedo (accurate)
Me:

1. Gloves (Fingerless + fingered)
  2. SPD's
  3. Full leg lycra
  4. Full arm lycra
  5. Yellow helmet (stands out from the black lycra)

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Wowzers! Those magicshine's are expensive! @blackpanther the cree ultrafire!? From what I can see they are not "cycle lights" as such but seem cheaper even if I got two! :smile: are the efficient? And is there a bracket on the market? (For bars or helmet?) Also your mp3?? Both ear plugs in?? I love a podcast also but found riding without one of my senses a bit worrying! Obviously I always look and signal before any manoeuvre but you can't beat an early warning right? Also anyone ever used a sat nav on there bike? We have a tom tom and have seen a waterproof bike mount for it looks interesting

Durano Plus tyres
IQ Cyo & dynamo
S3X hub
Road Morphe pump
Carradice Super C saddlebag

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Allso your mp3?? Both ear plugs in?? I love a podcast also but found riding without one of my senses a bit worrying! Obviously I always look and signal before any manouvre but you can't beat an early warning right?

Oh, this could start another tiff! Well here goes....
Personally, I don't think mp3 is a serious safety issue. I've been cycling with music since I had a Walkman the size of a dictionary, and have never had any accidents with one on - or without one actually. Oh, except that time with a dog. Yes, I did have one accident, and I happened to be listening to music at the time, but I would have had the accident with or without the music. I was riding along, going quite fast, when all of a sudden a dog broke loose from its owner and ran straight in front of my path to tell me what he thought of cyclists. Anyway, I hit him at great speed and went flying over my handlebars, landing in the road a few metres from my bike. Ouch! No lasting damage, but my bike was a right off. Anyway, that was my only accident that I've ever had ever. So, why am I rabbiting on like this? Just to say that I very ofen listen to music when I'm cycling, especially when I'm going on boring roads, and I've never had an accident because of it.
However, I would add one item to my list, especially if you have mp3, to compensate for the fact that you can't hear the traffic coming so easily: a rear view mirror. I've been cycling seriously for 26 years, 25 of them without a rear view mirror. I bought one for my Greece tour. Marvellous. You can see the traffic coming from a long way off and gives you an extra "sense" of the road.

Top Bottom