TOP TIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

you know that velcro and rubber gadget you can get, the one that attatches a torch to your handlebars (itself a very brilliant and simple idea since a decent, lightweight torch is often cheaper and brighter than costly bicycle lights)...

they make excellent BANANA HOLDERS.

i discovered this on sunday as i set off down the beautiful northumberland coast. Having had no lunch i decided to eat the banana soon after setting off, but i was wearing a 'no pockets' MTB style top, my baggy shorts pockets arent quite big enough to avoid asquashing a banana (fnaar fnaar) and didnt plan on stopping to open pannier bags for a while.

VOILA ! banana held securely in place and conveniently at hand when needed. not to mention the comedy value of having a banana attetched to your handlebars. I have two of the aforementioned gadgets so i might go for the 'double banana' next time.

I dare say for the ultra fit and healthy a raw carrot may be a tad more aerodynamic.;)

Plax

Guru
Photo!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Uncle Mort said:
Genius! I suppose it doesn't work too well for pork scratchings does it?
A tri-bag would probably do the job. I suspect a couple of those "Mr Porky" bags would fit nicely in my Topeak tri-bag....

johnnyh

Veteran
John the Monkey said:
A tri-bag would probably do the job. I suspect a couple of those "Mr Porky" bags would fit nicely in my Topeak tri-bag....

I'd have to move the Haribo out of mine to fit them in! :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
johnnyh said:
I'd have to move the Haribo out of mine to fit them in! :biggrin:

Far be it from me to tell you how to carry your energy food, but the Topeak bag has two pockets - my suggestion would be for Haribos in the slim pocket, and delicious crispy pork snacks in the main pocket.

Cromcruaich

Glad you found a use for em as they arnt great for holding torches.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

i find them pretty good for holding torches; generally on winter night rides when i need something bright to light up rark lanes, tracks etc. Except maybe the tesco torch ; i accidentally got the bigger one and its almost heavier than the bike. Nice beam though, you can see it from space.
Yes apart from the comedy angle this is a seriously good way of carrying bananas and suchlike.
who's up for a game of seeing how many pics / youtube vids you can get on the net etc of cyclists using the banana holder (i'm ashamed to say in april , on holiday in america i participated in the facebook 'lying down game'....i'm face down next to kermit the frogs star on hollywood boulevard)

Ademort

JohnRedcoRn said:
you know that velcro and rubber gadget you can get, the one that attatches a torch to your handlebars (itself a very brilliant and simple idea since a decent, lightweight torch is often cheaper and brighter than costly bicycle lights)...

they make excellent BANANA HOLDERS.

i discovered this on sunday as i set off down the beautiful northumberland coast. Having had no lunch i decided to eat the banana soon after setting off, but i was wearing a 'no pockets' MTB style top, my baggy shorts pockets arent quite big enough to avoid asquashing a banana (fnaar fnaar) and didnt plan on stopping to open pannier bags for a while.

VOILA ! banana held securely in place and conveniently at hand when needed. not to mention the comedy value of having a banana attetched to your handlebars. I have two of the aforementioned gadgets so i might go for the 'double banana' next time.

I dare say for the ultra fit and healthy a raw carrot may be a tad more aerodynamic.:biggrin:
If you use two of them together they can also hold a bike pump, instead of having those irritating bike pump clips attatched to your bottle cage bolts.
Ademort

Matt

Could someone point me in the direction of these rubber clip things? been wondering how to attach a torch to the handlebars and I am now intrigued by the new idea of a banana bracket :tongue:

Top Bottom