Torn ACL.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DDYB

About 5 years ago I tore my ACL playing football. The surgeon said he wouldn't perform surgery unless I played at least junior level football.

So I basically don't have an ACL in my left knee.

Does anyone else cycle without an ACL and if so is there anything you would recommend? ie strengthen certain muscles?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this.......

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
have had knee surgery, not on cruciate tho, I found cycling good in helping me recover, however if using clipless peddles I should imagine you would want them with a bit of float to allow some movement. Cycling and swimming would be good for strengthing but I`m no physio ;)

Niall McL

I tore the ACL in my right knee when I was about 20 playing football. Struggled on playing football for a bit but could never get the strenght back in my knee. Have since hurt my knee twice at work which has resulted in having two cartilage clean outs. After the latest one 18 months ago I was told that I now have the start of arthritis and will eventually need a knee replacement.

My surgeon was reluctant to operate. He reckons that the trend for footballers getting artificiaL ligaments is just a fad and cited several rugby players who have played most of their careers with no ACL. The key is to strengthen the muscles the either side of the knee.

Anyway to answer your question, I cycle without an ACL. Started a year ago commuting a 20 miles round journey. No problems at all with my knee, probably stronger than its ever been. Also lost 3 stone in weight which will also ease the wear and tear on it. Target now is to get retired (16 years 10 motnhs to go!!!!) before I need my new knee.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

DDYB

Niall,

That's exactly what I wanted to read. I was up seeing my doctor tonight to talk over my options re the knee and she said that I should actually avoid cycling with a torn ACL. This contradicts what I had been told by a physio at the time of the tear so I wasn't sure what to make of her comments......... In general I though she talked a lot of p!sh so I'm planning to see a physio next week for advice.

I know of a few football players who have played on without an ACL and tbh I'm planning to get back to playing football next year with or without ACL surgery. I think strengthening the knee as per the surgeons comments is the way to go here. What exercises did you have to do for this?

Thanks again.

Niall McL

I haven't really done any exercises as such...it's just been cycling. I remember being given stuff to do by a physio, with the big thick rubber bands and such like, but they never seemed to work. My knee was still weak and used to give way to the side quite a lot.

Cycling has had no adverse affect at all as there is no strain of impact or sideways movement.

I'm lucky enough to be able to commute on my bike so I'm putting in an hour plus of exercise a day and as I said before I reckon my knees stronger than it has been for 15 years.

Dave5N

Über Member
Did both of mine, luckily not two badly. Knees get a bit stiff sometimes after long rides, but otherwise the bike is pretty good.

Running isn't, and I get a few sore times in the cyclocross with the impact.

This is me not you though, don't think because I'm alright, you wll be.

Do you ever have any knee wobbles? If so I am surprised that they weren't keen to operate. I did my ACL in a good few years back (and some cartlidge) and had the op (they used hamstring).

Of course I do judo and my knee would never have held up to that without the op! If you are having any knee wobbles then the op prevents or reduces further damage. I'm unlucky and have now had three ops on the knee. I did mine good and proper :biggrin:. However, I've never had any problems cycling. (can't run or hill walk on it)
You should be fine, but always worth checking with a good doc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Proper cyclists treat their knees as crown jewels......

TBH - you are best riding - non impact and good strengthener...

I don't do anything like footie/martial arts - my knees have done too many cycle specific miles.....

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Swimming is the best.

I played second row for many years so my knees aren't great, cycling is good, but swimming is the best for any joint issues, even racehorses do it.

My local pool is undergoing a refurb, so I'm out everyday on the bike.

Top Bottom