Torn Calf Muscle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All Just progressed from my 1997 Cannondale Killer V 900 to a stunning second hand 2007 Wilier Le Roi. Have had it a week and have just torn my calf muscle playing Badminton :-(

Does any one have any ideas or advice how I can speed my recovery and what sort of time am I looking at before I get back on my dream machine....only ridden The King three times.

It isnow stood in my lounge with me staring at it feeling sorry for myself. Injured myself last Tuesday. Any help advise gratefully received. Cheers Geoff

ventoux50

P R I C E

Prevent further injury - i.e. stop playing badminton straight away ! (bet you did that !! )
Rest the injury - get on the sofa and get your leg up to rest it.
Ice - ice - baby - get a bag of frozen peas - wrap in a damp tea towel and apply to the injured area - this constricts the capilllaries reducing bllod flow/bruising/scarring etc.
Compress - wear a pair of compression socks to reduce the interstitial swelling
Elevate - ideally get your injured leg above the level of your heart - helps prevent swelling by aiding venous and lymphatic return.

Eat more protein - to help tissue repair.

Wait 2 weeks then gently resume activity.

Pack in Badminton.

The end.

Crankarm

Guru
I would say stop playing badminton until you are fully fit again and then take care.

WRT to your current injury - apply ice to your calf gently massaging it into the strained muscle fibres, those blue plastic camping ice blocks are good as are packs of frozen veg. Then just massage your calf a couple of times I day. Sit on your bed and fold your leg bringing your heal up to the side with the knee on top of your other knee to support it. Massge your calf up, down, side to side, long strokes, round strokes, thumbs, knuckles, push them in firmly getting blood to circulate in the affected area. Sitting up with your vertical legs knees bent in front of you, feet on the bed/floor, masage your relaxed calf muscle as before using both hands firmly with even strokes. 15 mintues in the morning then again in the evening should do. You should still be able to ride your bike with a calf injury, I could.

Of course visit a doctor as my advice does not constitute a formal medical assessment or advice. It is merely for information. It is a treatment that worked for me and still does.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another newbie who hasn't the courtesy to reply with thanks to those who have offered advice.

I don't think that is very fair to the "newbie" ... for a start nobody replied to the thread for 6 days, so they may have stopped looking, its not even been 6 days since you posted your reply and you are seeking a thanks. Equally as they are new I don't think its very fair to be rude to them and potentially put them off the entire forum.

Harrietairedale I hope its mending now ... injuries are very annoying both from a pain point of view and them stopping you doing other things.

ThePainInSpain

Another newbie who hasn't the courtesy to reply with thanks to those who have offered advice.

I have just had to go out for a walk to calm down.

What a totally crass statement.

If you want this forum to go the way of Working Men's Clubs in the UK then carry on.

As a 'Newbie' I have been reading and learning from a lot of the posts on here, but if you want a different opinion, well..............
my observations are that in general there is a clique who spend most of their time patting each others backs and bragging about what they have and what they have achieved.

Is there no room for the ordinary guy or gal on here, or s it just for Superfit commuters ?

And as the previous post says, it took 6 days to reply and she probably went elswhere for advice and a bit of friendly chat.......................

That's got that off my chest.....................Phew

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

P R I C E

Prevent further injury - i.e. stop playing badminton straight away ! (bet you did that !! )
Rest the injury - get on the sofa and get your leg up to rest it.
Ice - ice - baby - get a bag of frozen peas - wrap in a damp tea towel and apply to the injured area - this constricts the capilllaries reducing bllod flow/bruising/scarring etc.
Compress - wear a pair of compression socks to reduce the interstitial swelling
Elevate - ideally get your injured leg above the level of your heart - helps prevent swelling by aiding venous and lymphatic return.

Eat more protein - to help tissue repair.

Wait 2 weeks then gently resume activity.

Pack in Badminton.

The end.

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

Thank you for your advice...I have followed it to the letter. It seems to be working now feeling much better about the injury.

Its been two weeks tomorrow since the injury and I have an appointment at hospital for phyisio.

Thank you once again.

Cheers Geoff

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

I would say stop playing badminton until you are fully fit again and then take care.

WRT to your current injury - apply ice to your calf gently massaging it into the strained muscle fibres, those blue plastic camping ice blocks are good as are packs of frozen veg. Then just massage your calf a couple of times I day. Sit on your bed and fold your leg bringing your heal up to the side with the knee on top of your other knee to support it. Massge your calf up, down, side to side, long strokes, round strokes, thumbs, knuckles, push them in firmly getting blood to circulate in the affected area. Sitting up with your vertical legs knees bent in front of you, feet on the bed/floor, masage your relaxed calf muscle as before using both hands firmly with even strokes. 15 mintues in the morning then again in the evening should do. You should still be able to ride your bike with a calf injury, I could.

Of course visit a doctor as my advice does not constitute a formal medical assessment or advice. It is merely for information. It is a treatment that worked for me and still does.

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

Thank you for your advice.

My leg is still too sore to even think about massaging it...can hardly bare to touch it when showering.

I am doing everything else you suggested and the pain is starting to go. I have appointment at A and E tomorrow as a follow up visit.

Apologies for not replying earlier as I thought my post would have been lost due to time and I wrongly believed that no-one would be able to access old posts and questions.

Apologies and thanks once again.

Cheers Geoff

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

I don't think that is very fair to the "newbie" ... for a start nobody replied to the thread for 6 days, so they may have stopped looking, its not even been 6 days since you posted your reply and you are seeking a thanks. Equally as they are new I don't think its very fair to be rude to them and potentially put them off the entire forum.

Harrietairedale I hope its mending now ... injuries are very annoying both from a pain point of view and them stopping you doing other things.

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

Hi

Thank you for replying....and of course for your defence of my actions.

My fault, I wrongly thought that an old post and question would be lost to readers after a fair bit of time had elapsed. You can imagine my horror when I logged on today and found that fellow cyclists had replied to my post. I feel terrible and very sorry.

Regards Geoff

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

I have just had to go out for a walk to calm down.

What a totally crass statement.

If you want this forum to go the way of Working Men's Clubs in the UK then carry on.

As a 'Newbie' I have been reading and learning from a lot of the posts on here, but if you want a different opinion, well..............
my observations are that in general there is a clique who spend most of their time patting each others backs and bragging about what they have and what they have achieved.

Is there no room for the ordinary guy or gal on here, or s it just for Superfit commuters ?

And as the previous post says, it took 6 days to reply and she probably went elswhere for advice and a bit of friendly chat.......................

That's got that off my chest.....................Phew

OP
OP
Harrietairedale

Harrietairedale

Hi

Thank you for your comments and support. I thought that after a certain amount of time since my post was put on the forum it would be lost to the thousands of other posts after it.

I am horrified that people have replied and I have not replied to them. I did not intend to be discourteous and I am sorry that I have appeared to upset some forum members. I am not very good with computers everything seems to take so long,I have spent last few days trying to set up my security programme. (to date unsuccessfully!!)

I have an Airedale named Harriet hence my name...so apart from my current injury she is the only reason why I am not on my bike most of my leisure time. We enjoy the mountains.

Thanks once again for your support.

Regards Geoff

e-rider

crappy member
you can type under the quote rather than posting twice

and don't worry about crankarm - clearly got out the wrong side of the bed.

Top Bottom