Torque wrench bit - what's it called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi all!
Fearing this was a stupid Pat 5mph question, I have asked others first, but they did not have the answer :smile:
So: got this big values torque wrench a while ago on discount, only today had a chance to use it as I was changing a cassette, which, as we all knew :whistle: needs tightened to 40N.
20161001_164611.jpg 20161001_164633.jpg
What's the bit called that I need to attach said torque wrench to my cassette tool?
I have used my favorite one that has a long handle to remove the cassette and to fit it again, but I would have liked to do it up properly to the 40N, see that I bought the torque wrench!
Of course I have the no handle version cassette tool too:
20161001_164511.jpg
Got a box of bits, but none fits:
20161001_165309.jpg
Thanks for your help, sorry if it's a silly question.

13 rider

Guru
Looks like you need a socket to fit the nut shaped bit on the cassette removal tool which has the same size drive ie the square bit on the torque wrench . Measured the hexagonal bit of the removal tool to get size of the socket required

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

[QUOTE 4492960, member: 9609"]you could get an idea what 40N feels like on something else, then replicate that effort on your usual tool for tightening cassette nut (keeping hand same radius from centre) Then you would have sort of made use of your torque wrench :smile:[/QUOTE]
Yes, I could do that, plus buy a socket ^_^

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

You will then need a half-inch drive socket to drive the hex on the outside of the cassette tool, which is usually 24mm.
Great, I'm going to the tool shop tomorrow!
Got another bike's cassette to change, will make good use of the new tool.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Great, I'm going to the tool shop tomorrow!
Got another bike's cassette to change, will make good use of the new tool.

I've just realised you have the separate cassette tool.

At the risk of pointing out the bleedin' obvious, take it to the tool shop to match the socket size.

It's not the most popular size, but a good tool shop should have one.

Halfords carry a good range, although this one appears to be click and collect rather than in stock in the shop.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...ories/halfords-advanced-socket-24mm-1-2-drive

Tim Hall

The cassette tool in my garage is 24mm, with a half inch drive. By the way it's 40Nm (40 Newton metres) rather than 40N (40 Newtons) as the length of the tool as well as the force applied are taken into account.
By the way (II). You speak the language like a native: "needs tightened". Down this side of the border it's more usual to say "needs to be tightened". (I wouldn't have the first idea how to say that in Italian and am in awe of your linguistic skills)

bruce1530

Guru
Pat - since you’re in Glasgow, take the torque wrench and the cassette tool, and go to Bill’s Tool Store in Bain St, round the corner from the Barrowland. They’ll sort you out, and will charge a fraction of the price of the DIY sheds.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Hehe, @Tim Hall, Scottish is a lazy language!
Now that I know I need a socket I can go to the shop with confidence, I hate not knowing the name of stuff.
We have a really good independent tool shop in town, no need to go to Halfords.
Thank goodness my wee torque wrench came with all the bits suitable for bikes.
Btw, cassette did not fall out when I went for a wee test ride ^_^

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Pat - since you’re in Glasgow, take the torque wrench and the cassette tool, and go to Bill’s Tool Store in Bain St, round the corner from the Barrowland. They’ll sort you out, and will charge a fraction of the price of the DIY sheds.
Yes, that's where I'm going tomorrow after my ride: I just wanted to know the name of the part, to be able to ask for it instead of saying "I need a thing to match this tool to this other tool" ^_^

bruce1530

Guru
If your torque wrench has a half inch drive, and if the cassette has a 24mm hex end, then you need a 24mm half-inch socket.

I’ve probably got a spare one out in the garage - if that’s the right size, and you’re anywhere near central station around 8.30 or 5.30 on Monday, you can have it!

Top Bottom