Tough but cheap rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
OK, I know this is bound to have been asked before - basically I've come to the conclusion I need a new rear wheel, but my budget is extremely limited. I currently run a 700c Alex ID19 rim on a Formula hub with 8-speed cassette - i.e. what came with the bike. The freehub has started slipping occasionally (and refused to engage at all in the recent frost), I'd left the bearings too long before servicing them so the drive-side cone's pitted, and I've had a couple of spokes break - the wheel's done just over 5000 miles in sometimes wet and sandy conditions. As it's a cheap wheel I'm assuming a replacement is the best option.

With limited funds, I've seen a wheel at Simpson Cycles by Tru-Build, with a Zac2000 rim and a 'Shimano' hub - no model ID given - this is only £40 all in. However, for another £25-£30 I could get a wheel handbuilt at Spa or Parkers with a Sputnik rim on a Tiagra hub.

As things stand at the moment £25 is a lot of money to me, so I'm looking for a view on what the difference in price will give me? Is the more expensive (but still good value I suspect) wheel likely to roll better? Better sealing on the hub?

My priorities are robustness and weather resistance - I carry quite heavy loads in my panniers, and the bike's exposed to wet sand quite frequently.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

Sheepy1209

Veteran
Sorry - wrong bit of the forum - meant to be in accessories and kit etc.

Top Bottom