Tour de France 2020 NO SPOILERS !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Froomes only chance if he was taken would be for Bernal to lose time somehow...
Not to sure about Tao or Amador...maybe Amador for experience ?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I've just read something that I really should have thought of myself:
A 3-week tour stands a chance of being cancelled mid-race; will the GC teams be content to let others have the jersey early on?
I'm not to sure as I've never really thought about it.I doubt it will make any difference to how they race it though.Unless it goes well into the third week it wouldn't really count as a win as such.I doubt if they had to cancel it to early they'd award it to anyone.

RobNewcastle

Froomes only chance if he was taken would be for Bernal to lose time somehow...
Not to sure about Tao or Amador...maybe Amador for experience ?

He’s probably get it just in terms of experience but be great to see TGH go. Dauphine will be crucial for final selection (staying the obvious)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
He’s probably get it just in terms of experience but be great to see TGH go. Dauphine will be crucial for final selection (staying the obvious)
I'm guessing some of those Tao etc are being promised the Giro.But as a rider they must be thinking "feck will we even get a giro ? "

I agree, it would just be a void race in that situation
Like Paris-Nice ? :-\

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Like Paris-Nice ? :-\
Are you on about Paris nice when they cancelled last day ?
I suppose you could refer to the Tour when Bernal won after the landslide stage.Then they shortened a stage.But if your on about who's in yellow after a week or two winning the Tour I can't see it.
Remember it's all about who's got the legs in the third week,mountains.Anything else I think is a no.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you on about Paris nice when they cancelled last day ?
I suppose you could refer to the Tour when Bernal won after the landslide stage.Then they shortened a stage.But if your on about who's in yellow after a week or two winning the Tour I can't see it.
Remember it's all about who's got the legs in the third week,mountains.Anything else I think is a no.
If six stages complete, it's a tour, according to historical precedent. Teams need to take the jersey early and often.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
If six stages complete, it's a tour, according to historical precedent. Teams need to take the jersey early and often.
Was that a answer of pointless ? Seriously though if rider whoever has yellow on stage 7 and it's cancelled he claims the prize ? It's a shItty way to win it though,can't see it holding much weight/kudos so to speak.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When was that?
1946 tour had 5 stages. 1903 and 1904 had 6. 1905: 11. 1906: 13. 1907-1909: 14. 1910-1924: 15. Other years saw 22 or 24 stages but we don't deny that 21-stage race winners are grand tour winners. They won the race as run, not the race as first planned. The only editions with no winner are those lost by cheats.

Anyone know whether the rule books set a minimum number of stages or % of the race that must be completed to count?

Top Bottom