2020 Tour de Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The 2020 edition will be notably different as it will not feature the seafront finish at Scarborough, from the BBC. bbc.in/2KjNHMS

Scarborough Council's confirmed it didn't put the borough forward as a start or finish location for the 2020 running of the race.
The town's North Bay has hosted a finish of the race every year since it began in 2015.
The council says the town will not host the race because it's been chosen as the location for the national Armed Forces Day celebration in June.
Council leader Steve Siddons said: “Because of the timing of the Tour de Yorkshire race, our capacity to host both events is not possible."

tom73

Guru
oh well time for something different. We could use Harrogate sure plenty of head's will blow off so saves on the fireworks. ;)

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
oh well time for something different. We could use Harrogate sure plenty of head's will blow off so saves on the fireworks. ;)
Harrogate is also off route as well, the Council said no "some time ago" which the local comic without any evidence has equated to mudgate, shopgate, parkinggate, graffitigate and whatever else rubbish they can fill it up with on its continual anti UCI stance.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Host towns (start or finish) have been announced; Barnsley, Beverley, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds, Leyburn, Redcar and Skipton.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Pleased to see some Dales towns. Should have options to ride out to Skipton and probably Leyburn, hope they use Swaledale.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Disappointed that there is no Rotherham. I could have stayed with my son's friend's family, and accidentally come home with a Planet X bike to boot.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I hope the route takes in some of the very challenging areas close to major population centres in South and West Yorkshire. It's easy to make a mini Liege-Bastogne-Liege there and proximity to the towns guarantees big crowds

Adam4868

Guru

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yay - they are coming through Todmorden on stage 3! :smile:

I reckon the 'Côte de Todmorden' is the stinging climb up Shore New Rd from Cornholme up to the Long Causeway.... WRONG - SEE BELOW!

We might just be able to get over to Halifax in time to catch the riders a second time, going up Shibden Wall but it is only 40 kms away for the peloton so they will probably do it in an hour. It would be 25+ kms for us and getting in to Halifax could be tricky on the day so I think I will just dash home and watch the finish on TV.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A couple of ride and spectate opportunities from my static caravan near Bedale.

Leyburn and Masham, which has proved to be a good day out in previous years.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
I was quite excited seeing the Sunday route as it rolled out go down Greenhow Hill for a change as it implied something completely different but no still up it and south through Blubberhouses for third year on a row.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just seen a more detailed map of stage 3. The race is actually going to turn right off the A646 1 km before the centre of Todmorden and climb Cross Stone Road, then bear left on Hey Head Lane up past Todmorden golf club to Eastwood Road, and head left on up to Keb's Road then turn right and return to Hebden Bridge via Blackshaw Head and Colden.

That is a nice (toughish) climb with gradients of 15-20% at the start and averaging about 10% for 2.6 km, after which there is an easy drag up for another 1.4 km.

That is a more sensible route than the one I posted yesterday because it does not require road closures in the centre of Todmorden and 4 km of the Burnley Rd.

Street view from bottom of climb.

Top Bottom