Tour of Britain 2017 **Spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richyx

WTF happened to the London stage?
Isn't Hemel Hempstead down that there London somewhere ?

Hyslop

Veteran
Wot?No Cumbria? Shurely some mistake!!!
I know,I know... We've done pretty well of late,but I'll keep you all informed of the reaction of our local worthies when they eventually realise we're not actually entitled to a stage

It moved to Cardiff

The provincial gnashing and wailing moves to that London

Not moaning or that bothered, out of the country that weekend for the third year in a row, i just always thought the idea of a bike race shutting down the centre of London for a day lent the whole thing an air of impressiveness. There's not much that does that these days, Marathon, Ride London and TOB is all i can think of.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seems like a couple of days out for me by bike. I am glad it is getting around the country so much. The women's tour is coming to my part of the world again as well.

Just looked at the route and surprised to see a stage in Lincolnshire!!!!!

May have cycled a few miles to have a look, but we then realised we will be on day 3 of our LEJOG!

Stage 1 finishes about 10 miles from my house.

I'll not bother going.
You'll be missing out. Last year we saw the finish of stage 1 in Castle Douglas and it was a great atmosphere, the whole town en fete, several thousand spectators, lots of street stalls selling foodie food and drink, the brewery bar doing a roaring trade serving in plastic glasses to take away, shops showing the live coverage on tv's, the big screen at the finish line and the live commentary over the PA, the fun of working out from the footage of which road they were on and which house they would past next. And after the race finish the choice of staying to watch the interviews and presentations or to explore the side streets where all the team buses were parked. Greipel very pleasant, Cav very grumpy.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I went to watch the Cheshire stage last year and its a great day out.
Myself and my son cycled to the start in Congleton, had a mooch around the team buses and watching the riders warm up. After the start we cycled over to Holmes Chapel where there was a carnival atmosphere with food stalls, stalls selling cycling items and music. When the race had passed through we headed back to Macclesfield and watched the race struggle to go over the narrow canal bridge at Fools Nook. From there we headed home to watch the finish on the tv.

Go and watch it as it's a great event.

You'll be missing out. Last year we saw the finish of stage 1 in Castle Douglas and it was a great atmosphere, the whole town en fete, several thousand spectators, lots of street stalls selling foodie food and drink, the brewery bar doing a roaring trade serving in plastic glasses to take away, shops showing the live coverage on tv's, the big screen at the finish line and the live commentary over the PA, the fun of working out from the footage of which road they were on and which house they would past next. And after the race finish the choice of staying to watch the interviews and presentations or to explore the side streets where all the team buses were parked. Greipel very pleasant, Cav very grumpy.
I was only joking, I shall (hopefully) be going to both the start and finish and maybe catch some of the race during one of the loops around the Borders as well - hopefully extra trains/buses will be put on (or at least extra carriages!) so that people can get to Edinburgh for the start and to the Borders for the stage and/or finish; it should be possible to watch a decent amount of the stage and cycle to the finish and I'll have a word with the events planing people at the Council this afternoon to see what their thinking is re extra trains/buses etc. In previous years I have volunteered for marshalling but I think this time I'll just watch.

Top Bottom