Tour of Britian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewLincs

Hi all

We are planning our first outing to watch the Tour of Britian

Will only be able to make stage one I'm afraid.

Looking for tip as to the best point or points on the route this year

Thanks

Andrew

HelenD123

Guru
Come and join us in Pocklington. There's one contingent heading out from York and another from Beverley and we're all heading to York to see the finish.

Skip Madness

If you're in Lincolnshire then Helen's suggestion of Pocklington is pretty good, as is the next climb on Stage 1, Towthorpe Wold. You can download a map and profile of Stage 1 here.

OP
OP
A

AndrewLincs

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I am travelling from Lincoln and Pocklington looks good!

How long before the race is due through should we arrive and is it then worth trying to jump ahead for a second view?

Is there a Caravan like the TDF?

My two young daughter are keen to try and spot Wiggo!

regards

Andrew

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm planning on watching on Tuesday, but any advice about what time to arrive at my viewing spot - the expected times are on the ToB website, but when do they close the road? Thought I'd cycle up to the top of one of the climbs...

Skip Madness

AndrewLincs said:
I am travelling from Lincoln and Pocklington looks good!
Specifically, I would recommend the climb of Kilnwick Percy which starts on the way out of Pocklington, since you can see more. There is an arrow half-way up the climb on the Ordnance Survey map which indicates a section of 14% gradient or above, which is approximately 3km/2 miles beyond Pocklington town, so I would hover around there where I would expect there to be a decent crowd. On the other hand, you may prefer to go into Pocklington itself for the atmosphere in the town, or right up to the top of the climb where there is usually a fair crowd.
How long before the race is due through should we arrive
It really depends on how much waiting around you want to do. Assuming that there is a reasonable crowd in Pocklington and on the climb afterwards, you'll want somewhere to park the car fairly close by. My own decision when I do stages in this race is to get to my spot no later than an hour before the race is due through (usually earlier) since I enjoy the build-up, but you may want to do it later - I am not sure exactly how soon before the race passes through the rolling road closures come into effect but it's not very long.

If you want to watch in Pocklington, that should provide much more than ample time and space to park the car and choose your spot. You can always stop in a shop or cafe if you have loads of time on your hands.

If you plan to go on the climb instead, I would be there quite a lot earlier to reccy it when you arrive to see if there are any good parking spots close by, and prepare for a fair old walk if there aren't (there are a couple of lay-bys on the hill which are good, but it's not inconceivable that they may be full by the time you get there).
and is it then worth trying to jump ahead for a second view?
I am going to be trying this myself for the first time this year in Devon and Somerset. The estimated time between the race arriving in Pocklington and finishing in York is roughly 1 hour 30 minutes, although in reality that could vary between 1 hour 20 minutes and 1 hour 45 minutes. The drive from the Pocklington/Kilnwick Percy area is approximately 25km/16 miles via the A1079 which should be doable in under 25 minutes. There may be some traffic issues in York but it shouldn't be too bad. Something approximating this route should get you to the stage finish in sufficient time, I reckon (adjust the start and finish locations to your own specifications, obviously). If I'm not mistaken the stage finish will be on Malton Road (A1036).
Is there a Caravan like the TDF?
No, just a long gradual stream of police vehicles and also a Tour car which, if you are in a remotely busy area, should come along and tell everyone who is in the break and what gap they have on the chasers, and how soon the race should be due along.

Skip Madness

Spinney said:
I'm planning on watching on Tuesday, but any advice about what time to arrive at my viewing spot - the expected times are on the ToB website, but when do they close the road? Thought I'd cycle up to the top of one of the climbs...
The road closures take effect fairly late (I'd guess not much more than 10 minutes before the race comes through, maybe not even that - anyone have a more confident estimate?), and they won't matter once you're out of the car and on your bike. Consider how long you reckon the climb will take to ride and how long you want to spend hanging around before the race comes through.

Remember that those website time estimates could be wrong in either direction by growing margins as the stage progresses, so err on the side of caution - better too early than too late.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks Skip.
I'l be cycling from home, so spare clothes and sarnies look to be in order.
Unless it's peeing down, in which case I might watch it from somewhere where I can park the car close by!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Skip Madness said:
The road closures take effect fairly late (I'd guess not much more than 10 minutes before the race comes through, maybe not even that - anyone have a more confident estimate?),
You're not far out with 10 mins. Last year the police riders closed the roads probably 5-10 mins ahead of the race

OP
OP
A

AndrewLincs

Thank you for your reply Skip, very informative.

I'm sure we will find a nice spot.

Do you know anything about the radio the teams use? I have a scanner and should be able to listen in if I knew where to look!

Regards

Andrew

bugslop

Spinney said:
Thanks Skip.
I'l be cycling from home, so spare clothes and sarnies look to be in order.
Unless it's peeing down, in which case I might watch it from somewhere where I can park the car close by!

Planning on watching the 'grande depart' in blackpool and then catch them coming back around broughton, the weather looks great :sad:

zacklaws

Guru
>>>>Do you know anything about the radio the teams use? I have a scanner and should be able to listen in if I knew where to look!<<<<

I used my scanner last year, I got some frequencies from the race manual, but not the teams, which I downloaded from the TdB website but I see they are not published in it this year edition. As my scanner has "Closecall", Uniden 3500xlt, I soon picked up a lot of the teams frequencies, but I found that they spoke foreign on most of them so there was not much to gain from listening.

When I got home after seeing them in Beverley, I plugged my scanner into my antenna mounted on the top of the house and was able to listen in as they came to the outskirts of Hornsea and lost them just south of Bridlington, I believe it was the race commisaire or director that I was listening too.

If you have not downloaded the race manual yet do so as you will get the detailed info on routes and timings etc to plan your day.

Just found last years race manual and the freqs are not there so I must have got them from somewhere else

The Kilnwick Percy hill will be great. It's long and straight so there should be a good view if attacks unfold... I will not be there - the grandkids cannot be allowed too far from a source of refreshments, Bradley Wiggins or no Bradley Wiggins.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have just got back from watching them near North Dalton. My daughter (16 months) loved the ride in her trailer, and only clapped at the police outriders, and didn't clap for the riders?????

Top Bottom