Tour of Flanders, info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Captainwull

I've just registered to do the 2017 Tour of Flanders Sportive for the 6th time.
Believe it or not I've never watched the Pro's race live on the Sunday, I've always watched it on the TV in a bar in Brugge. This time I think I'll make an attempt to get to the Oude Kwaremont and watch it live. I remember one year they did this climb 3 times so I guess it might be a decent place to head to with the hope of seeing some action. I seem to remember there was a big screen there too.

Has anyone ever been to watch the race from the Kwaremont? any info would be much appreciated.

I'm disabled with 2 prosthetic lower legs and concerned that I cant get my car parked near the climb. If there is a lengthy walk its going to be a non starter. I know I could always bike it but I'd rather not if its at all possible.
I've emailed the organisers of the race most years asking for info on accessible places to view for disabled people but never had a reply. Which is why I've always watched it in a bar!

Many thank's
Billy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

[QUOTE 4538384, member: 259"]Hi Billy, you mean the Kwaremont I guess. There is some info I found (in Dutch) from 2016, but I should think it would also be the case for 2017. I speak Dutch so if you need to send an email then let me know and I'll do it in Dutch for you, but most Flemish people speak very good English.

Hope this helps.

Parking voor mindervaliden
Er is een parking voorzien voor mindervaliden op de parking Ham in Oudenaarde. Stuur ons vooraf een mailtje (deronde@oudenaarde.be) zodat we jouw plekje kunnen voorzien en de aanrijroute kunnen meegeven.
>>>there are reserved car parking spaces for disabled people in the Ham car park in Oudenaarde. Send us an email in advance (deronde@oudenaarde.be) and we'll book you a place on the arrival route.
Ook op de Oude Kwaremont kan je terecht (reserveren hiervoor kan via Inter vzw).
>>>You can also get a place on the Oude Kwaremont (you need to reserve it from Inter).[/QUOTE]
Veel dank voor de informatie Mort
I'll send them an email right now, hopefully I'll have better luck this time.
Regards, Billy

@Marmion has watched at Oude Kwaremont I believe.
I have indeed, and I plan on going back again in 2017 with some people of @Captainwull's acquaintance :becool:

There is a free shuttlebus from Oudenaarde to Kwaremont, there is a short walk involved (uphill) to get to the viewing area but nothing a few Angus lads couldnae help you with if required, even if most of them are old and decrepit - and there's a pub right next to the climb as well which is convenient for sitting about and toilet facilities. If it's muddy the "fan village" (where the big screen is) might be a bit soft and squishy but plenty other places to watch. :okay:

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

I have indeed, and I plan on going back again in 2017 with some people of @Captainwull's acquaintance :becool:

There is a free shuttlebus from Oudenaarde to Kwaremont, there is a short walk involved (uphill) to get to the viewing area but nothing a few Angus lads couldnae help you with if required, even if most of them are old and decrepit - and there's a pub right next to the climb as well which is convenient for sitting about and toilet facilities. If it's muddy the "fan village" (where the big screen is) might be a bit soft and squishy but plenty other places to watch. :okay:
Cheers for the info, I'm glad you said there is a short walk. What most folk call a short walk can be absolute hell for me. More so up hill. I reckon I'll forget that one and try for the parking place at the top. If I cant get that then I'll just stick to the bar in Brugge.
Are you guys doing the Sportive?

U

User169

Cheers for the info, I'm glad you said there is a short walk. What most folk call a short walk can be absolute hell for me. More so up hill. I reckon I'll forget that one and try for the parking place at the top. If I cant get that then I'll just stick to the bar in Brugge.
Are you guys doing the Sportive?

Remember it starts in Antwerp in 2017.

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

Remember it starts in Antwerp in 2017.
Aye I'm minding its start's in Antwerp. I like Brugge so I'll just base myself there again.
Cheers

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

[QUOTE 4538384, member: 259"]Hi Billy, you mean the Kwaremont I guess. There is some info I found (in Dutch) from 2016, but I should think it would also be the case for 2017. I speak Dutch so if you need to send an email then let me know and I'll do it in Dutch for you, but most Flemish people speak very good English.

Hope this helps.

Parking voor mindervaliden
Er is een parking voorzien voor mindervaliden op de parking Ham in Oudenaarde. Stuur ons vooraf een mailtje (deronde@oudenaarde.be) zodat we jouw plekje kunnen voorzien en de aanrijroute kunnen meegeven.
>>>there are reserved car parking spaces for disabled people in the Ham car park in Oudenaarde. Send us an email in advance (deronde@oudenaarde.be) and we'll book you a place on the arrival route.
Ook op de Oude Kwaremont kan je terecht (reserveren hiervoor kan via Inter vzw).
>>>You can also get a place on the Oude Kwaremont (you need to reserve it from Inter).[/QUOTE]
I've had a reply from deronde@oudenaard. I'm getting a parking spot at the disabled viewing section on the Kwaremont. The guy was very helpful with lots of useful info.
Many thanks for the email address. It was very much appreciated.
Regards Billy

Archie

Errrr.....
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm off to the Ronde myself for the first time this year and I thought I'd trawl the site to see if anyone else was. Good to hear your making the trip @Captainwull. I'll say hi if I spot a legless Scotsman at Kwaremont - I'm sure there won't be many of those around (Although I'm told @Marmion is often legless). :whistle:

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

Hello Archie,
I've managed to get two places in the disabled section at the Kwaremont so me and the young lass...(she's 35 :wacko:) will be in there.
I think there is quite a few folk from around this area (Angus) going over so you wont be short of company.
Are you doing the Sportive on Saturday? I'm doing the 130 km ride with the young lass and a pal from Liverpool, I'm gonna see if the ABC guys are
keen for a beer after the Sportive in Oudenaard square. I reckon I'll will be done and dusted by 2-2;30pm There's lots going on there and a good atmosphere. More so if its sunny. If your about you will easy spot us in the square, I'll be wearing the yellow Flanders shirt in my profile pic. Its now about 4 sizes too small as I'm a right fat b.....d :whistle: I'll have two AFO's strapped to my legs, there not proper fake legs as I still have my own ones. I don't have any lower leg muscles , there just to support my ankles when I bike. Gives a shout, I'll easy let you pay for the Beers ^_^

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've had a reply from deronde@oudenaard. I'm getting a parking spot at the disabled viewing section on the Kwaremont. The guy was very helpful with lots of useful info.
Many thanks for the email address. It was very much appreciated.
Regards Billy
I shall keep my eye open for you too. I'm signed up and staying for the entire weekend

Archie

Errrr.....
Not doing the sportive sadly Billy, the plan is we're arriving Saturday afternoon and cheering the last of the sportive riders over the line. You'll probably be done by then. If I spot you I'll pop over - don't expect the town square to be that big.

Sunday we'll be joining the throngs on Oude Kwaremont. Fingers crossed for warm weather. :sun:

Top Bottom