Touring food!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

OK folks, what are your favourite quick and dirty recipes for meals when touring? What tips do you have for cooking to make cooking easier?

I'll start...

If cooking using mess tins or similar (and the ground is stable) stack them. One pan can be used for cooking (say, pasta) and another can be used for keeping something warm or warming it through (say, pasta sauce or already cooked sausages etc.)

Now for a recipe...

Fry off a little onion and bacon for a few minutes. Add as much rice as you need along with some hot water (with a fingernails depth covering). Keep boiling, and when rice is soft add a beaten egg and stir. Cook through and enjoy!
glutton.gif

chrtho

Doesn't get much quicker - or lighter to carry - than a cup-a-soup with a packet of noodles added for bulk. I add some cheese if I really feel like pushing the boat out.

hubbike

food is one of my favourite subjects for a chat...have you seen this thread?

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Here's a great pasta recipe:

Pasta
Blue cheese
Walnuts
Leeks

1. cook the pasta, fry the sliced leeks
2. crumble the blue cheese into the drained pasta and add the leeks and walnut. stir together. serve.

Doesn't get much quicker - or lighter to carry - than a cup-a-soup with a packet of noodles added for bulk. I add some cheese if I really feel like pushing the boat out.

I'm a big fan of dried packet noodles too (not super noodles mind you). Always keep a couple in the panniers for a filling meal if I can't find anything else before I camp. Just add boiling water! Great base for adding fresh things too as well.

If I am somehere civilized I tend to go to a cafe/pub in the evening and on the go in the day I am happy with cold foods - sandwiches, wraps, etc you can pick up from most shops (lovely sandwiches from the Butchers in Norham by the way).

J-Lo

Im a cheese lover... but not sure what cheese is suitable for touring (ie. doesnt require fridge) im guessing there are some hard cheeses that would work well? and no my name is not wallace ;)

chrtho

Im a cheese lover... but not sure what cheese is suitable for touring (ie. doesnt require fridge) im guessing there are some hard cheeses that would work well? and no my name is not wallace ;)

I've carried Edam and Emmental in the past which both keep well.

J-Lo

Thank-you :smile: I suppose cheddar and specially parmesan would be alright for a few days?

Someone told me its best to remove from the supermarket packaging and put in a small tub etc.. as it keeps better and wont get squashed (can understand the latter part!)?

Boil an inch or so of water, drop in a packet of quick noodles (preferably spicy thai ones), let 'em sit for a minute or two, add half a chopped dried sausage, a teaspoon of tomato puree and a healthy shake of chilli powder - a meal worthy of a restaurant.

Boil an inch or so of water, drop in a packet of quick noodles (preferably spicy thai ones), let 'em sit for a minute or two, add half a chopped dried sausage, a teaspoon of tomato puree and a healthy shake of chilli powder - a meal worthy of a restaurant.
...now that's my kind of camp meal!

I cant really subscribe to any of the above apart from the comment on cheese - I tend to eat more or less the same food I eat normally - whatever nice I can find avec potatoes and vegtables rotating with meat pasta and rice dishes and salads with new potatoes - varies with what I can get locally

as to cheese the art is to eat it as soon as possible :biggrin: especially the soft french cheese - brilliant on pain cereal at a lunch break or for a snack before dinner - excellent source of energy in the long term - 1g fat = 9kcal as opposed to 1g carbo = 4kcal

hubbike

I cant really subscribe to any of the above apart from the comment on cheese - I tend to eat more or less the same food I eat normally - whatever nice I can find avec potatoes and vegtables rotating with meat pasta and rice dishes and salads with new potatoes - varies with what I can get locally

as to cheese the art is to eat it as soon as possible :biggrin: especially the soft french cheese - brilliant on pain cereal at a lunch break or for a snack before dinner - excellent source of energy in the long term - 1g fat = 9kcal as opposed to 1g carbo = 4kcal

very true. scott of the antarctic used to melt a pound of butter into his cocoa at night. but then, he had to manhaul all the food for the whole expedition.

I would however suggest it is better base your diet around carbohydrates with plenty of vegetables and fruit.

I feel so lucky, in so much I really only enjoy food to run my body, I tend to use the Boil in the bag meals made by wayfarers, so am happy to live on them day after day, with the odd cafe/tea room thrown in.

Top Bottom