Touring help. Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonGW

Hi Guys & Girls

Me and a mate have got this trip planned, But we've never done anything like it, so have no idea what kinda stuff we'd need to take or where to stay etc.
Heres a quick plan.

Home> Maidstone via train
Maidstone > Dover via bike
Dover > Calais via ferry
Calais > Alpes> Monaco > Barcelona > Bilboa Via bike
Bilboa > Portsmouth via ferry
Portsmouth> Home via kind relatives

We're going to be camping to save money. What kind of stuff do we need to take? and how should we carry it? We we're thinking of getting a lil trailer.

Also, How long should we set aside for the trip? Guess we'd hang around in some of the nicer places for a day.
Cheers
Jon.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Don't get a trailer if any of your plans involved a train.

In fact, just don't get a trailer. Panniers will be easily large enough to carry stuff for a trip like that.

Check out the cost of the return ferry trip from Bilboa. It might be as much as the rest of your expenses!

I would think you would be looking at six weeks depending on how much of the Alps and Pyrenees you want to experience.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Tim's right...trailers and trains don't go. I also agree that panniers will be fine!

I'd do a rough mileage calculation and divide by 50. That would give you as many days as you need cycling. Personally, I'd also build in a rest day every 5 days (6 sometimes) because ultimately you're on holiday and you want to enjoy it. Build in extra days off for the Alpes (hiking), any wine areas you're going through (wine tasting), Barca (sightseeing, footie) etc.

It's going to be brilliant, you'll love it.

OP
OP
J

JonGW

I've checked all the prices, We're not too fussed about the ferry home costs, as we can pay them before we leave, oh and it'll be fun! We were just planning on going through some of the Alps, just because it'd be rude not too. But we don't want to spend too much time there. 6weeks is too!

Taken on board the pannier advice, cheers. What kind of panniers? I don't really want front panniers though.

Oh and would my bike be okay for the job? Got a Giant Defy.

jay clock

Massive member
my best advice would be to read massive numbers of the tales on www.crazyguyonabike.com starting with mine at www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian then Cathryn's http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/TeamRamsden

I would agree with Cathryn - 50 miles a day allows for full days off every 5-6, and days cycling of 40-80 miles. If you are not stunningly fit you will be in a week or so!! One of the benefits of longer tours.

DO be absolutely ruthless about weight. Two sets of cycling kit, one set of off bike, and choose non bike shoes for weight.

I have not yet met anyone who went off touring and hated it, and for me it is one of the most exciting things after triathlons and sex. Or even before!

snorri

Legendary Member
JonGW said:
I've checked all the prices, We're not too fussed about the ferry home costs, as we can pay them before we leave,
Sometimes ferry fares are cheaper if you just roll up and pay on the day rather than book ahead. Also, you might change your plans enroute, prebooking kind off debars spontaneity, and spontaneity is good on a cycle tour.:biggrin::biggrin:
Try to fit in a short tour of a few days in this country before you leave, it will help you to sort out what you need and don't need for the longer tour.
Sounds like fun, enjoy.:biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
Sounds like a great trip.Don't get too bogged down in equipment choices, there's very little you actually need.You might look at Bike Express as a way of getting home, could work out cheaper than the ferry and allow more time further south.http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

willem

Über Member
Great idea, and many good things have been said already. You have one problem, however: your Giant Defy is a fine bike (would love to have one), but not for touring. Not knowing all the details of the bike, there may be some margin, but this may only work if you do indeed use a (two wheeled) trailer such as the Radical Cyclone (my advise), or trim your luggage to the very minimum of, say, 12 kg. Maybe that will fit into a saddle bag such as the Caradice Camper Longflap, or else you could perhaps fit a rack such as a Tubus Fly, and use lightly loaded Orltiebs.
Your problems are:
The tyres are too small. Fit the widest that you can fit (25mm, or just maybe 28 mm Schwalbe Marathons or Panaracer Paselas for more speed and less reliability).
Your wheels may have too few spokes or a fancy spoke pattern. You could get a strong 36 spoke handbuilt rear wheel with a heavy duty rim for the trip, however.
Frame may not be very stiff under load.
You may need a bit more comfort, from perhaps a Brooks saddle, and higher handlebar. The latter is easy.

I hope this helps a bit. Go and have a look at the ultralight camping and backpacking sites for inspiration. This is an interesting challenge.

Willem

Tony

wth all the previous.....just ride and enjoy, and leave enough flexibility in your plans to do something different because it catches your fancy

Brains

Legendary Member
A cool 2 month trip!
I met up with friends in Avignon doing same thing a couple of years ago and joined them for 2 weeks.
As said before, travel really light, you can always buy en route if really needed, forget trailers unless your bike can not carry a load (which from Willems comments above may be a problem). And take a good look at Bike Express,as we used them to get home - a good service

peanut

never done any touring but would love to try. Would it make sense to take as little non cycling clothing with you and buy cheaply as you go ? T shirts shorts etc

andym

Über Member
My strong advice would be to do some shorter (eg long weekends) tours before you go.

Also how are you planning to get from Barcelona to Bilbao? Are you planning on traversing the Pyrenees? Make sure you check your route against a topographic map so you know what you are letting yourself in for.

peanut said:
never done any touring but would love to try. Would it make sense to take as little non cycling clothing with you and buy cheaply as you go ? T shirts shorts etc

I'd advise investing in some good-quality outdoors clothes. I have a number of lightweight merino tops that I can layer depending on the temperature, and a pair of light, quick-drying, convertible (ie the legs zip off). One pair of these, plus a bottle of travelwash, should be enough. Avoid cotton because it doesn't dry quickly, so gets cold when you sweat or get rained on, and takes longer to dry after washing.

jay clock

Massive member
I agree with Willem. I thought the Defy was a hybrid, so didn't comment, but having looked I think it will be too lightweight. I agree trailers plus trains are a no-no, so is there any way you can cycle the whole way? If so the Defy plus trailer should be ok. Also I do not think it has rack mount points, and even if it does, it looks like a short wheelbase which means possible heel clearance problems with the panniers.......

Top Bottom