Touring holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am planning to go on a touring holiday this year, how much would a self planned cycling holiday cost ?

I think I am taking a tent, is it best to take 2 man tent and what other equipment would I need ?

I will be taking my mobile with me, where would the best place to get it charged ?

I know if you stayed @ a b&b you would charge it there but if you are using camp sites that would seem to be a lot harder

Bigtallfatbloke

Hi<

I am planning to go on a touring holiday this year, how much would a self planned cycling holiday cost ?

so many variables...like where are you going etc? But it can be done cheap...I rode down to the ned last summer and spent just 140 euros excluding flight home.

I think I am taking a tent, is it best to take 2 man tent and what other equipment would I need ?

2 man is more comfy and better if it rains..and it WILL rain. But it's sometimes heavier to carry. Other equipment...the list is potentially endless but the basics are...cookset...toolset...maps etc...sleeping bag and mat...

I will be taking my mobile with me, where would the best place to get it charged ?

I know if you stayed @ a b&b you would charge it there but if you are using camp sites that would seem to be a lot harder

You can charge it in lots of places...campsite offices, toilet blocks, behind the bar, friendly caravanners, or carry a solar charger (but dont rely on it)

There is a wealth of info on this forum...just read through past threads and you will get more detailed info.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Raleigh Man said:

How long is a piece of string? Sorry that's unhelpful, but it depends where you're going, where you're staying, how long you're away for, whether you need to fly to get there, whether you need to buy all your kit or if you already have some or can borrow it...

We usually carry one, but only switch it on for five minutes every day or two to see if there are messages and reply. It's also there for emergencies. If it's charged before we set off, it'll last a month like this easily.

If you're actually going to spend lots of time on the phone, you do need a plan to charge it - Big's advice applies. Be cheeky and ask people at campsites and whatever.

jay clock

Massive member
have a read of www.crazyguyonabike.com - my offerings are here www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian

Be ruthless, really ruthless about weight. Simple things like "I'll take some trainers for the evening" can add 600g on top of a pair of flip flops. If summer time, then wear one shorts and shirt, carry another set and wash them every day

For your first tour I would do hotels if you can afford it. See how you like the touring life. I camped in NZ and could have stayed in hostels every night, and bought takeaways or cooked in the campsite kitchen, so avoiding all my camping kit. Having said that the nights I did camp, having a 2/3 man tent was really roomy (2.5kg). I have now bought a 1.8kg "2 man" tent which is just about ok for 1, although I have not yet used it. I also bought an Exped Downmat to replace the Thermarest I had which I found far too uncomfy.

Have a great time

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My wife and I spent under £2K cycling to Bologna in 5 weeks including the flight back. We ate out most evenings (and I like a drink.) Breakfast and lunch were homemade though. We camped apart from 3 nights and the cost of the sites ranged from 4 to 25 euros.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Raleigh Man said:

As much as you want it too - the upper cost is limitless - the lower depends on the quality of food you want to eat, the quality of camp sites that you want to use and the costs of getting to the start and back from the end of the tour.

A two man tent gives you lots of room. I use a two man for 5+day tours and a one man for shorter tours. Extra equipment - self inflating sleeping mat - unrivalled comfort. Sleeping bag. Cooker and pans - I use a Trangia others will use gas stoves. Panniers of course to carry your gear. Stuff sacks. Bin bags to line the panniers unless you are using Ortleib's panniers. Tea, coffee powdered milk, sugar, oats, jelly babies. plus twoards the end of the day, food/ingredients for the evening meal and breakfast. Water storage facilities i.e. Camelback or water bottles.

Get it topped up at cafes, bars or ask a fellow camper with an electric hookup. I've never been refused. Some campsite owners will charge phones for a fee. If youwant a peaceful life leave you phonbe switched off and use it for a few minutes at the end/start of the day. A battery will alst a week or so. You could always take a spare battery with you.. Alternatively you could get a two to three pin converter and use the shaver sockets in toilet blocks during ablutions.

See above

snorri

Legendary Member
Raleigh Man said:
I am planning to go on a touring holiday this year,

As soon as spring arrives:blush:, get out and about for day trips, then for a trip with an overnight stay, then two nights away. You will soon learn what YOU like to have with you, and what you can do without. We all have our essential bits of kit, but an essential for me may not be considered essential to you.
I think we would differ on the mobile phone for a start.:evil:
It might be worth keeping a lookout for second hand panniers and tent, by the time you have worn them out you will know what you want when buying new replacements.
Good luck for your first tour.:sad:

samid

Veteran
Regarding tents, some 1-person tents are roomier than others. On advice in this and CTC forums, I bought a Hilleberg Akto, and it provided perfectly enough room for me while being lighter than a 2-person tent (but, I'm 5'8", so YMMV).

asterix

Comrade Member
On the raid Pyrenean I took a Hilleberg Nallo Gt. It was easy to pitch and the extra space was very useful when it rained (torrents). It's good to keep down weight but not if life becomes too spartan. A tourer with the right gears will alow you to cope with a bit extra.

Gotte

My friend and I go to Germany for a week or so a year, and we figure it costs about £150 for the flights, about £250 for accomadation (small hotels), and about £200 spending money.
We tend to buy stuff to make sandwiches for lunch, and eat out at night. The German hotels have excellent breakfasts.
Never tried camping when touring - would love to, but my friend and I creak too much in the morning when we go camping and sea-fishing. I can;t imagine we'd cycle that well after a night on the floor.

Top Bottom