Touring on a single-speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

I like the idea of this, mainly as I have a converted single speed mountain bike ready to roll as a tourer.

Or is it just a silly idea?

Surely the simplicity is a benefit? Also the lack of complication and possibly slower pace would make for a nice unhurried style of touring. It's not a problem pushing up the occasional hill is it?

Let me know your thoughts or hopefully even experiences in this area. As you can tell I'm a bit undecided.

No definite route planned but possibly something like the north sea cycle route next summer.

Niall Estick

It's a silly idea.

Pongunagu

Depends entirely on the route, how light your bags are, and whether it's windy or not. I love my singlespeed bikes, and I commute every day on one - I'm very aware that even a slight headwind can make pedalling a real grind.

I imagine that a sunny B&B trip along the Canal du Midi/Garrone from Bordeaux to Sete, with the wind behind you and a small pannier full of french bread, red wine and a single change of underpants would be a real joy on a singlespeed. I think coastal paths might be hard work - they're generally quite hilly and windy.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think a once read a line somewhere on the forum along the lines of: "That would be as daft as touring on a fixie".

Which I know isn't quite the same. Actually, I think in somewhere like Holland it would be a definite goer.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Pongunagu said:
Depends entirely on the route, how light your bags are, and whether it's windy or not. I love my singlespeed bikes, and I commute every day on one - I'm very aware that even a slight headwind can make pedalling a real grind.

I imagine that a sunny B&B trip along the Canal du Midi/Garrone from Bordeaux to Sete, with the wind behind you and a small pannier full of french bread, red wine and a single change of underpants would be a real joy on a singlespeed. I think coastal paths might be hard work - they're generally quite hilly and windy.

Clearly a man after my own heart when it comes to cycle touring :evil:

Sorry, that is assuming you are a man :biggrin:

Pongunagu

I know that guy - he's a friend of my sister! I'd never found his journal page - thanks very much for that!

Not sure about his trike though. Dodgy.

snorri

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
Actually, I think in somewhere like Holland it would be a definite goer.
I thought gears were quite a good idea last summer as I fought a headwind from Rostock to Rotterdam.:evil:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
User3143 said:
Not at all silly, as long as you have the legs of course.

Many single speeds have done tours, you get loads doing the PBP and the like.

Simplicity in itself, I like it.

Paris Brest Paris is hardly a tour!

Percy

Pottsy said:
Actually I just found this on Google:

www.gordontaylor.co.uk

Seems like he likes the idea.:sad:

I was about to post the same link. 'Gordy' used to be a regular on Cycling Plus 18 months or so ago now- I'd assumed he kicked around here sometimes but maybe not. I was away when 'the big change' happened and I've never really caught up...

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I know that guy - he's a friend of my sister! I'd never found his journal page - thanks very much for that!

Not sure about his trike though. Dodgy.

makes perfect sense for a winter bike. no falling over on ice, quite a few experienced tourers use them in winter, plus they are more stable when loaded.

Top Bottom