Track Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I am thinking about getting a track pump. The last few psi with my little hand pump always seem elusive.
What extra do I get by paying £60 as opposed to about £20. Are the more expensive ones worth the extra, or do they just move more air in each stroke ?

jayce

i bought the bontrager charger didnt cost much and it workes very well dont see the point in spending more as its only a pump as long as its good quality and does what it should

MajorMantra

I've never owned an expensive track pump but I do know the cheap ones are generally fine and are a world better than any mini pump. Tesco do one for £13ish that looks very like my 'Beto' branded one, which has been fine so far.

Matthew

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As track pumps generally last for years I would buy a decent one rather than a supermarket cheapo. One I paid £14 for a few years ago was useless once you got near 100psi. I ended up binning it and replacing it with an Innovations Top Dog (£30) which works effortlessly.

If a pump is a pain to use you'll end up letting your tyres go soggy before you bother struggling with it.

Neilwoo123

Just got a tescos value one for £13 and it works just fine rear tyre is now at 115 psi not the 60ish ive been riding on since buying the bike!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bought a couple of the steel barrelled ones
lidls-discount-bike-bits-on-the-way-15441
from Lidl @£4.99 - fantastic! Look out for their next bike bits event in case they repeat them.

youngoldbloke said:
Bought a couple of the steel barrelled ones
lidls-discount-bike-bits-on-the-way-15441
from Lidl @£4.99 - fantastic! Look out for their next bike bits event in case they repeat them.
I bought one of those too and leave it in my office, touch wood I've never had to use it. It does work though a colleague has borrowed it a few times and been very impressed.

jayce

the bontrager cost me £24 ish about a year old 120 psi no prob in a few pumps, as said my gauge is on top .also its got a red marker to put to the psi you want

Dave5N

Über Member
Cycle promotions sold me a Park one for £20 which gets the tyres on my son's track bike up to a nice firm 150psi.

The beto one leaks past 140.

The lidl one is a pile of shite - ok for 'cross tyres at 50psi but not much else.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The lidl one is a pile of shite - ok for 'cross tyres at 50psi but not much else.

Well - sorry you feel that way! - mine works fine - run my tyres at 110psi. Are you sure it is the same model - mine is very simple all metal with a narrow barrel that moves up and down, and a pressure gauge at the bottom? I know they have sold others more recently that looked very dodgy. Anyway its probably irrelevant as it was one of their specials and they may not repeat the product.

Top Bottom