trading up to a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Priscilla Parsley

Hello, I have decided to move on from my Claude Butler Classic (super heavy) to a road bike as i want to get a bit more serious and faster. I have been looking around Manchester at some bikes and i can go up to about £550, but i dont know what i'm looking for and what the difference is between the brands, so far i have seen nice ones from Trek, Specialized and Giant, I know my price range is at the bottom end but its still a big purchase for me so I want to get it right. any advice is appreicated.

ta

p.s i am a girl

wafflycat

The key is *fit* Get a bike that fits you so that you are comfortable on it and then go for the highest spec you can get in your budget - on the bike that fits. Also, remember that you can change a saddle - so if it's simply an uncomfortable saddle that puts you off your otherwise perfect bike, a saddle can be changed with ease.

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

i'm not used to getting my leg over a high bar! one that I liked and tried was v snug on the (ahem) crotch with my feet on the floor, would that be too big for me of will i get used to it?

wafflycat

The answer is 'it depends'

Without seeing you on the bike it's impossible to say whether it's frame too big or you being used to, ahem, getting your leg over... All I can say is I've never had any problem getting my leg over - the bike frame that is!

Nowadays the general rule tends to be smaller frame, more seatpost showing than say, thirty years ago, when it was big frame and hardly any seatpost showing.

domtyler

Über Member
Go for a compact frame geometry, there will be plenty of room when you step off the saddle without hitting your snatch on the cross bar. You don't need a step through frame, they are designed for ladies with their skirts on to remain decent while astride the bike, if you are going roady this shouldn't apply to you.

wafflycat

How are you trying to get your leg over the top tube? I know some ladies who approach it in the same way as a step-through frame and try to bring their leg they are going to put over the bike up *in front* of them. I've always found it much easier to swing my leg back and over the saddle. I too am a girlie (just an old one...)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't know where you are in Mcr but Bicycle Doctor in Rusholme is a great shop with women staff and friendly service. Otherwise there's Harry Hall who are grimly serious about cycling but a decent bunch. Going north there's Mike Cookson in Whitefield. Oh and Evans in Deansgate and at the ski slope near Trashy Park.

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

got it, leg over the back, will help me avoid more bike shop shame

ta

OP
OP
Priscilla Parsley

Priscilla Parsley

been to bike doctor, no ladies there but definatly the best and friendliest service, found edinburgh cycles and fosters in chorlton disappointing service definatly going to Evans and Harry Hall (love serious people), think i will go this afternoon.

wafflycat

Priscilla Parsley said:
i'm not used to getting my leg over a high bar! one that I liked and tried was v snug on the (ahem) crotch with my feet on the floor, would that be too big for me of will i get used to it?

Just noticed this in detail. You really don't want your feet flat on the floor and a lot of space between you & crossbar, that would be too small a frame.

gbb

Legendary Member
Priscilla Parsley said:
right ok, will go out and try some more with this in mind

so the brand dosn't matter too much in my price range?

I dont think so..if you keep to the big names, Spesh, Bianchi, Giant etc. Theyre all much of a likeness, it almost comes down to what turns you eye.
If you go for a WSD (Womens Specific Design) you tend to find theyre a bit more expensive..although you may get away with a normal compact frame.

Basically, if you spend £500-£600 on any of the major names...you wont have any problems with quality. Its down to the details. Look at the specs, compare and ask questions ;)

wafflycat

If Priscilla is average height or tall for a woman, she's unlikely to *need* a woman specific design. I'm 5'6" - 5'7" and I've never *needed* women-specific geometry on a bike to be comfortable

Perry

Priscilla Parsley said:
been to bike doctor, no ladies there but definatly the best and friendliest service, found edinburgh cycles and fosters in chorlton disappointing service definatly going to Evans and Harry Hall (love serious people), think i will go this afternoon.

Please try other places before Evans, they are not that helpfull.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have a read through this (Peter White), then you can really sound like you know what you are talking about and you will have a better idea of what you want/ should have ;).

My usual snippet of advice:
Don't go for the first shiny steed you see. Take your time, test ride what you fancy, then make your choice. You probably intend to keep this bike for a long time, so no need to rush in to the purchase.

Happy hunting and let us know how you get on :tongue:

Top Bottom