Traffic Lights out = smooth traffic flow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The traffic lights at Shortlands Station, Bromley were not working Tuesday and Wednesday. Strange thing is, there are usually queues at each of the roads through the junction morning and evening. With the lights out there were no queues, everyone was being polite to each other, letting people across and through the junction. Traffic was moving very smoothly

Amazing behaviour.

Perhaps this is the way to go forward...

ianrauk said:
The traffic lights at Shortlands Station, Bromley were not working Tuesday and Wednesday. Strange thing is, there are usually queues at each of the roads through the junction morning and evening. With the lights out there were no queues, everyone was being polite to each other, letting people across and through the junction. Traffic was moving very smoothly

Amazing behaviour.

It is one of those places where a mini roundabout would be better than lights.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its a nice idea .. .but I think the car drivers are shocked into being nice... if that was their normal I'm sure they would go back to their normal style of driving. (I've thought the same myself when I came across a traffic light out sign).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've had experience of prolongued knocked out lights at three different junctions. One caused extreme aggression, one seemed to work very nicely indeed without lights (partly because it was a notorious car RLJing junction and things got cluttered up by the naughty people) and one just caused complete chaos.

yenrod

ianrauk said:

Amazing behaviour.

Ian seen this and experienced it too - and yes it does work..but Im sure someone will chip in with why they're needed !

Top Bottom