Trailer vs Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kelv61

Hi Guys
I've been reading the LEJOG/JOGLE threads with great interest, as in 3 weeks time a mate and me will be on our way from Lands End for a 3 week tour. I was toying with the idea of using a trailer instead of panniers but was advised against it as they become unstable at speed. Is there any truth in this. I would have thought that the dead weight of 2 full panniers would be more of a problem. I still fancy the idea of a trailer.

just jim

Swing by this blog. Mick F used a Carry Freedom Freedom Y-Frame

Also check the thread on the CTC forum related to trailers. Do a search!

amaferanga

Veteran
If your bike won't take panniers and you like to travel slowly, then use a trailer.

If you have a bike that will take panniers then use panniers.

Its got nothing to do with stability at speed - weight and rolling resistance are the issues.

oysterkite

Trailer

Myself and a friend used carry freedom trailers with mountain bike sto cycle down through France to the Pyrenese. Despite towing about 25 kg each we had no problems, our average speed was 13.8 mph, and we did between 50 and 80 miles per day. No problem with speed, I clocked 43 mph on a couple of occassions. The main challenge is bringing too much gear simply because you can...

Bigtwin

I've used both (Bob trailer).

I'd say for long jobs the trailer is better, as your bike handling is essentially unaffected in terms of weight transfer, c of g and all that. The trailer just follows, no matter how you lean, stand, honk, etc.

Rolling resistance is effectively zero with the right tyre and pressure. Just don't pack too much!

oysterkite

One of the reasons we opted for Carry Freedom 2 wheeled trailers was because of the potential 'speed wobble' and adverse handling sometimes associated with single wheel trailers although I heard many reports of people using single wheel trailers for long distances with no problems....

Robert

I used the Edinburgh Bike Coop Bob copy for the first time this summer with the tandem. I'm undecided, there wasn't enough room for a two person camping load inside the bag so we strapped the tent on top and put some things in panniers.

I got into a speed wobble going down a good fast hill. Polly said, "The view looks much better looking up at it" I should know by now that you can't look at a view behind you whilst riding a tandem and trailer downhill at around 30kph. So heading for the gravel, then back out to the road then back to the side.... it all went quite slowly really and then we lost the link chain. Managed to stay upright. Hey, Polly claims she wasn't scared.

Apart from that instance caused by my stupidity, I found that rough road surfaces affected it and also being overtaken by large lorries on straight narrow roads, caused nasty wobbles. We did have 35kgs of luggage altogether.

As far as I'm concerned the jury's out. I haven't tried it with a solo bike but Polly doesn't want to take it next year. There's also the matter of how conveniently everything fits in and where you have to store the bike. One day when we get round to it we're going to try exactly the same load in the trailer and two panniers and work out what we prefer.

willem

Über Member
I have used a heavily (45 kg+) loaded two wheel trailer (an early version of the excellent Dutch Radical Cyclone trailer) behind a tandem, and without any stability problems, even at high speed. I think two wheelers are in principle a better bet for light bikes such as audax bikes or tandems, since they do no put as much stress on the frame. I wouldl only use a Bob on an mtb.
Willem

Top Bottom