Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got a trailer on fleabay; it attaches to the bike wheel.

Wondered if there were any cautionary tales re: use of trailers on bikes with QR wheels?

I have the option of attaching it to the pub bike (without QR wheels) but would prefer to use the main bike. I was just worried that I'd be asking too much of the QR pin? Max. weight recommended by the manufacturer of the trailer is 100Kg, I will be using it for the recycling and doing the grocery shopping, mainly, so don't suppose I will get anywhere near that.

Photo-0136.jpg

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I will be fine with quick release, nice trailer, I've got a BoB Yak single wheel, but for heavy loads i.e above 50 lb it becomes very wobbly, so may get a two wheel trailer

I've had my large Carry Freedom trailer ~18 months now.
In that time I've only broken the quick release skewer once.
But that crash was the only time I've rolled my trike.

Apart from that, I've had no problems with the QR skewer.
But I do carry a spare, just in case, when I'm on tour.

Ps. The normal weight of my trailer + alu box + junk in it must be ~20-25 kg mark.
Prob double that with all my camping gear/shopping in it.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I had one that i used to carry a fat dog in, no problem at all. Sold it to somebody with an even fatter dog and never heard of any problems with that either.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've also got a Carry Freedom Y-frame trailer and used to bend the mounting plate on a regular basis when either the bike fell over or, on one occasion, when I flipped the trailer (it was empty and bounced awkwardly over a speed hump). But I've never had a problem with the QR.

Now I have a much chunkier mounting system, I got a longer QR skewer to ensure there were enough turns on the QR nut. But that's the extent of the 'problem'.

OLDSHUNTER

that trailer connects onto the frame which can leave the paint damaged at point of connection so you might want to cover that or use the oldshunter for the trailer,make sure the qr are tightened on my first journey with one i didnt know that you are restricted to not go more than 15 mph and on my desent building up some speed i could feel the trailer slightly snagging and afore i could slow down to check the wheel rolled past me and the trailer flipped on its side spewing the contents across the road as i was still trying to stop which left the road looking like a road traffic accident with the traffic piling up both sides that's the 3 problems that i have encountered plus people looking oddly at you when they drive past and then see that there are no children in it .

Top Bottom