Trailers and wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwoInTow

So a tourer needs really strong wheels to handle all that weight, right? But am I right in thinking that by using a trailer you avoid this issue, and that pulling a loaded trailer will not put any more pressure on the wheel than ordinary riding?

I'm asking because I want to get a proper tourer but probably don't have time to organise it now before we leave for our tour on 9th July. And I was avoiding a trailer because I thought we were catching trains etc, but now we're loading up the car, so it won't make much difference anyway. We're doing the Danube cycle path, and it looks to me like there won't be many issues with gates etc (which have been a real pain in the past with a trailer).

So all of this is making me think I should take my very light hybrid-but-almost-a-road bike anyway, with the Bob trailer attached, and take my time getting the tourer. The only other alternative I have is a very heavy 8-speed hub city bike, with panniers. I can't go particularly lightweight no matter what we do, because we are a group of 5, two of whom are children (pre-teen) and one of whom is a newbie 70-year-old who has never camped, and barely cycled.

Am I thinking of this the right way?

andym

Über Member
Well if you already have the bike and trailer -I it's probably better to use what you have rather than make a rushed purchase.

And with a Bob you'll have plenty of capacity to take other people's stuff as well! ( which by the sound of it you may need - whether you like it or not).

corshamjim

The cycle/trailer combination will probably be heavier than a loaded tourer, but if there aren't too many hills that won't be a problem. With that mixed group of riders I don't suppose you're planning to break any records anyway.

Don't forget to pack a spare inner tube or two for whatever wheel you have on the trailer.

I towed a trailer on a short trip to Wales & back recently - it was hard work up the hills, but I love that the trailer affected the handling of the bike so little. Mine is a two-wheeled high hitch trailer so quite different to the Yak - the only comment I've heard about handling of the Yak is it's important to load it in balance.

willem

Über Member
The logic is fine, but not perfect. A one wheeled trailer like a Bob will stress the frame and rear wheel more than a two wheeler with quite a bit of torsion: the frame has to keep to trailer upright after all. So you don't want to do this with an ultralight road bike, and with an ultralight rear wheel.
Willem

The logic is fine, but not perfect. A one wheeled trailer like a Bob will stress the frame and rear wheel more than a two wheeler with quite a bit of torsion: the frame has to keep to trailer upright after all. So you don't want to do this with an ultralight road bike, and with an ultralight rear wheel.
Willem

Some recumbent trikes specify two wheel trailers for this reason.

Top Bottom