trans cambrian sportive, rhayader, 6/9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dbg

Yeah, I'm doing it with two mates, take food though, apparently the last two times they ran out!

groucho

I'll be there trying to go round in under 6hr 30mins! A third attempt!
On previous rides I have not experienced the lack of food. I see they have included an extra water station.

lukesdad

Done loads of Clive Powell mtb marathons and know this area well not sure where he gets his 15%s from though.

dbg

Speaking to Chris at Epic cycles on Sat, apparently all food (lack of) issues will be resolved this year. Now we just need some cloudless skies and frisky sheep

OP
OP
B

bonj2

how did anybody do then? i did 5:45, which i didn't think was too bad considering it was well windy.
I quite enjoyed it. I'd give the course 8/10, the scenery in some parts was fantastic, esp. the elan valley. Think i was expecting slightly more in the way of long swooping bendy descents, but all in all very enjoyable ride.
Food and drink was spot on, good supply of energy bars and bananas at the feed stations, and nice spaghetti bolognaise at the end, and with coffee that was almost getting on for worthy of being described as strong to boot. Convenient to have a shower as well in rhayader leisure centre. top marks to the organiser i'd say, a well run event.

anybody see me? :biggrin: (yellow top and shoes, black shorts and bike)

dbg

I'd agree with that, very well organised and excellent feed stops. I was in a bit of pain at the end riding a new bike for the first time over that distance but managed 5hr 50mins - I do think the standards were very hard though, surely that kind of time should have merited silver not gold? - I can't believe many achieved gold standard.

groucho

Very well organised event from the prospective of one who did not finish. I cramped so badly, on the hill just after the dam crossing, that I could not move! After 5 mins Clive came along in his van with a couple of injured (car and pride) and returned to the start/finish. I love the spag bol.

I guess I had a bad day as I have completed the event twice before.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

dbg said:
I'd agree with that, very well organised and excellent feed stops. I was in a bit of pain at the end riding a new bike for the first time over that distance but managed 5hr 50mins - I do think the standards were very hard though, surely that kind of time should have merited silver not gold? - I can't believe many achieved gold standard.

Yes, I agree! my ticket said my average speed was 16mph, which I think was good for a hilly course as my average for a hilly course is normally 15mph. But only got bronze.

Top Bottom