Transgender world cycling champion- is it right?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5416990, member: 76"]https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/rachel-mckinnon-becomes-first-transgender-woman-win-track-world-title-397473

Well, what do we think about this?

Personally I am looking forward to Anthony Joshua signing a form to identify as a woman and fighting in the womens super heavyweight category. After all, there is no reason, as once you identify as a woman any inherited or developed muscle mass and testosterone induced advantages simply disappear. Being a foot taller and considerably stronger than your opponents as you developed as a man is not even a thing.

In fact, why don't we just scrap gender categories and make all athletes simply compete against everyone else?[/QUOTE]

There is a thread about transgender cyclists from the other day. My opinion is that you may have the right to classify yourself as a woman but you are not on a physiological level playing field. A man's physique should not be able to compete against a woman's just cos the man thinks he's a woman.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
[QUOTE 5416990, member: 76"]In fact, why don't we just scrap gender categories and make all athletes simply compete against everyone else?[/QUOTE]

My 14yo son does exactly this on a Friday at Manchester: U14's, U16's, women, men and veterans all race together depending on what ability group they're in.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
[QUOTE 5416990, member: 76"]https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/rachel-mckinnon-becomes-first-transgender-woman-win-track-world-title-397473

Well, what do we think about this?

Personally I am looking forward to Anthony Joshua signing a form to identify as a woman and fighting in the womens super heavyweight category. After all, there is no reason, as once you identify as a woman any inherited or developed muscle mass and testosterone induced advantages simply disappear. Being a foot taller and considerably stronger than your opponents as you developed as a man is not even a thing.

In fact, why don't we just scrap gender categories and make all athletes simply compete against everyone else?[/QUOTE]

It's not the Mail forum so lets not spread hate eh ?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@User76 much better title, thank you.

MikeG

Guru
The researchers said that there is no evidence that transgender women have a sporting advantage over athletes born female.
Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/rachel-mckinnon-becomes-first-transgender-woman-win-track-world-title-397473#KeuvC5hHJHmpsYGk.9

Certainly does appear to be quite cricket but evidence suggests otherwise.
This is a person identifying as female, but without having undergone any treatment towards transitioning, as far as I understand it. In other words, this is someone who was born male, has lived as a male, and now just identifies as female. I doubt many of us would have any difficulties with someone choosing to live like that, and personally I wish her the very best, but it isn't fair to biological females to be in an athletic competition of any description against a biological male.

[QUOTE 5417058, member: 76"]Well, that about sums it up. When people get to maturity, at around 16, then they are split into genders. So actually your son doesn't do exactly this at all. If all a male cyclist had to do was sign a form, no woman would ever win a bike race again![/QUOTE]
I used to race at Meadowbank Velodrome, the midweek track league had categories which were not based on gender. Women quite often won.
My daughter (now an adult) sometimes makes an appearance at her local track and races in midweek league there and still wins against male riders.

Ian H

I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
[QUOTE 5417058, member: 76"]Well, that about sums it up. When people get to maturity, at around 16, then they are split into genders. So actually your son doesn't do exactly this at all. If all a male cyclist had to do was sign a form, no woman would ever win a bike race again![/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Anyone can win; male/female/child. I'm starting the accreditation process and, when racing, expect to be challenged by both genders and all ages.

Top Bottom